danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
I played DnD for the first time

| It was great! Though there's so much to learn when it comes to the stats, how to roll and roleplaying itself(it's hard to be in character). I had a really fun time!!!

My character's name is Marsh who's an Assimar and a paladin who managed to escape a cult she grew up in. After breaking free, she lost her memories and is left wandering the world unaware of her purpose but is now able to exp free will and what life really is for the very first time.

Any tips for a newbie?

| Quit

| >>639244 ffs

| >>639189
Glad to hear you are having a good time trying something new! Welcome to the world of role playing games.
The best advice I can give you is to, whenever you have a problem with another player or DM, talk things out like adults. Reasonable and frank discussion solves problems most of the time.
Secondly, there is a whole world of rpgs out there! Most of us start with D&D, so don't be afraid to try new systems and see what you like the best.
Keep having fun and rolling dice!

| Do your best to know your abilities so you can be useful during combat and don't have to spend your time looking through all of your abilities. Other than that just have fun and communicate if there's any issues, dnd is a great way to spend your time

| Random thought but it would be kinda cool to play DnD with some /g/urls on u. Maybe lol

| DMs are a rare breed. No one really has that kind of time to give. That thread in /d/ is still up for example, no one's really able to start it up since op died from coronachan.

| >>639352
Which thread?
I could DM a short campaign, I've got the time.

| >>639352 i started playing dnd when the quarantine started! A friend of mine from CA introduced it to me and i started playing with his friends. We use roll20.net in our campaigns and talk via skype.

| Star Station Perihelion. We can't even keep up with a single main character, good luck trying to get several people joining with their unique characters.

| >>639397 roll20.net is a good idea. There was an app version too iirc.

| >>639348 g/u/rl we should!!

| >>639398 maybe just a mini quest though? Idk what would happen if a bunch of ppl joins in haha

| >>639269 what other rpg games would you recommend?

| Know every single one of your abilities & use them all to furrack the DM. I once played a cat halfling kinda thing, which gave me lots of charisma. Our DM designed a whole dungeon that was supposed to be extremely difficult because there was no light in it. "I'm a cat. The book says I can see in the dark." "Fuck." Little things like that. Also, if a boss is overly difficult, & you have high charisma, try rolling for seduction. DMs don't think to put seduction resistance on bosses.

| >>639402 I've gotten into Shadowrun in the last couple years. A lot more complex and granular in detail, but it's really fun if you like Sci-fi and fantasy together. Can't think of another game where a troll can run around with guns and a cyber arm fighting off a dragon CEO in Essen.

Just recently started running a game about a certain bar with a certain flat bartender in a certain South American city actually.

| >>639402
I always recommend Traveller for scifi (think Firefly or Cowboy Bebop).
There's Don't Rest Your Head for horror (interesting theme and mechanics)
For Fantasy, check out Beyond The Wall and Other Adventures (I like how it does character generation)
Lancer is popular right now if you like tactical giant robot fights (who doesn't dig giant robots?)

And then there's off-the-wall games like Everyone Is John and MAID, which are worth a one-shot at least.

| >>639427 dude that's actually good advice. I'm going to check my stats if i fit that. But i'm an aasimar paladin and my stats are kinda broken so idkkkk i almost died battling a pack of dire wolves 10 minutes in

| >>639442 >>639455 thank u guys so much haha there's a whole new world there and i feel like im only at the tip of the iceberg. Time to descend further into the rabbit hole! (But maybe after DnD bc there's so many things to remember in DnD alone)

| >>639489 it can feel like a lot (especially if you're going by the books), and can end up scaring new players away. It might seem a bit too much at first, and it is, but just remember to prioritize fun over the rules. Yeah, the books are nice and all, but everyone's there to furrack around and have a good time. Good luck OP!

| I'm glad to hear you've gotten into one of the best games there is! One recommendation would be to sometimes stray a little from the rules, but not too much, if that makes sense.

In a long running campaign I'm in we've had a lot of problems balancing fun things and broken things. Like one of out players could transform into a werewolf with four attacks per turn and shit. In level 1. So if the DM starts getting a little careless, have a talk with them. It can be for the best.

| >>639652 how tf is he getting 4 attacks per turn in LEVEL 1? What's their class??

| >>639716
Sounds like homebrew. Or Pathfinder.

| Dungs N Dumbs

| >>639716
It was homebrew. She was a tiefling rogue who could transform into a direct rip off of the monster Werewolf. It was extremely broken. Luckily she didn't know how to play smart at all, and she also left the party after a while because she didn't enjoy the game, which fixed things. There was a lot of other stuff too though that was added just for fun but was extremely broken so we had to fix it. Now we play more or less plain 5e, which everyone enjoys more.

| Thanks to peeps above for the advice (from a g/u/rl who is still on the "negotiations with DM" stage in Warhammer40k)

Total number of posts: 26, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1585657448

This thread is permanently archived