danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Can someone explain Yukkuri let's plays?

| So recently found out that there are LOADS of channels on Youtube of yukkuri let's plays and they have millions of views.
The yukkuri thing from Touhou. They all have Reimu and Marisa yukkuris commenting through text-to-speech. Just search "ゆっくり実況" on Youtube.

How is this a thing? Surely so many channels with the same gimmick would fail, yet it exists and many of these channel has millions of views.

| There were also thumbnails that looked like those kid channel videos on the English side of Youtube. I'm wondering if this is the Japanese version of the kid channel phenomenon

| 2hufags at their finest. You can't explain it but for some reason I think too that they're dedicated to children but who knows?

| Text-to-speech for commentating videos/livestreams is a commonality for their region, and not only limited to Let's Plays. For one, it helps with anonymity for both voice and appearance.

Bouyomi-chan is the first more widely used text-to-speech bot for the japanese language. → http://chi.usamimi.info/Program/Application/BouyomiChan/
People would use Bouyomi-chan in combination with a visual mascot of their choosing for their media creations.

| I have just Youtube searched "ゆっくり実況" as you said, and the text-to-speech voice you are hearing in these videos is Bouyomi-chan's text-to-speech. Dedicated Touhou video makers are also the trend in their region.

| The earliest adaption one would see of this voice automation would be seen in A.I. supercomputers you would see in anime, or in other fictitious works that have security systems or mecha/robots, etc.

And to a degree, this is very same reason of how text-to-speech built the uprising popularity of Vocaloid, and Vtubers. Example: Hatsune Miku, Kizuna AI.

| Just nigger faggots who are afraid of taking responsibility for their inexcusable actions as white supremacists or white supremacist sympathizers

- Ethan Klein

| >>598071
Huuh, that's interesting. I guess Japanese with its limited syllables is a whole lot easier for text-to-speech to do.

| Not claiming for accuracy, here's my take.

1. Anonimity and privacy
Because the rampant bullying culture. From what I've seen, also applicable for amature youtube dance cover. I rarely see dancer from other countries wearing face mask.

2. MMD
MMD skits already made using text to speech a norm. So when you let's play ceaze hits, people are not surprised with those derpy yukkuri voice (compared to western viewers who rarely see MMD/yukkuri videos)

| 3. Hardware and software limitation
Blue Yetti is the usual decent starter mic for youtuber and it costs more than one hundered dollars. It's not that much, but considering it is just for hobby that you might lose interest in after 2 weeks, $100 is a steep price to pay.

| Furthermore, japan is not known for their fondness of PC. I've stumbled upon 2 yukkuri minecraft let's players (back in 2015) and both of them have bad PC despite having several hundred thousand of subs. So I'd guess yukkuri voice is so much more affordable than a mic if you count the fact that they might have had to buy/upgrade their PC/laptop just to make a video.

| Woah, thanks for the insight g/u/rls. Wasn't expecting much of an answer tbh.

| H

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1569433561

This thread is permanently archived