danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
My online friend and her depression

| So, I have an online friend, who has depression and I don't know what to do anymore
She says, that she doesn't want our help, but at the same time, she keeps bringing her depression up in our conversation, which makes me believe, she does want our help
I talked with her about getting professional help, but she never really seems to consider it
Does anyone have a clue, what I can do about this, because this can't keep going on like this

| I would just confront her. I had a friend like this a couple years ago, who I have since stopped talking to because it was getting to toxic to be around.

As you described, she kept bringing up her depression out of nowhere in the middle of conversations, and when we'd ask her about it, she'd shrug it off and say she didn't want help.

| >>597055 So I finally sat her down and was like "I need you to be honest with me. You keep bringing up your depression, and saying some very alarming things, and we are all very concerned about you. When we ask about it, you say you don't want help. I need you to be honest with me about if you ACTUALLY are wanting our help, and are just being too modest to say so.. or if this is an attention ploy."

| >>597056 super long story short.. it turns out she did it for attention because she was lonely and felt left out of the group all the time, even though she was invited to everything and chose not to come.. So she would fake wanting to kill herself and all kinds of shit so we would focus on her. One of our friends had actually previously attempted suicide so we focused on their mental health for a while, and I guess she thought that was the only way to get our attention.

| >>b72430 Thanks for the answer, I'm gonna try that
I tried confronting her in some ways before, but her usual response was always something like "I'm trash" or "I'm useless idiot"

I thought about, that she might be faking it, before and it would be really sad, since we're just a small group of 4 people, our conversations always felt really close

How did you find out, she was faking it? Did she just admit it?

| >>597067 no problem! Honestly it was a whole ordeal.

After I confronted her about it, she blew up on us and started saying shit like "If you think I'm faking my depression, maybe I really should just kill myself. You guys never actually cared about me." And that really struck something in me because I'd had enough and called the police on her.

| >>597074 when they showed up to her apartment, she went ballistic.

"You really think I'd fucking kill myself? I wouldn't do some shit like that. I'm not fucking Bailey (our friend who previously attempted). That's fucking stupid. I'm just lonely!"

She never out right said "I'm doing this for attention" but I felt like her reaction was enough to solidify my belief that she was.

| Put benis in bagina
solves all depression for gurl

| just be there
make a campfire, drink beer, tell stories

most importantly just be there

| >>597309 she's just and online friend, I don't know her personally and it got also way worse, I can't have a normal conversation with her anymore

| >>597074 I wanna call the police on her, but she lives in a different country and I don't even know her adress
What can I do, she just said, she'll kill herself and I 'm so concerned

| >>597490
I think police would be a good idea, though I don't have any idea how to go about it. I guess Google could get you the answer. You really should be concerned though.

| >>597489
perhaps looking for attention

| >>597501
The problem is that she might be doing it for attention, but there's also a chance that it's serious. Assuming that it's for attention is extremely dangerous because of the chance that it might not be. It's a risk that shouldn't be taken.

| Well, I consider people I meet online as programs, that takes away the emotional attachment

| >>597508 Kinda hard to do that for me now, we've been friends for a few years and in a small group, we played games together, watched streams together, it felt really close

>>597501 >>597507 Yeah, I'm aware, that she might be faking it, but there's always the chance, that's she is actually suicidal

| So, now I wrote in the group, that I need a break from it, left the group and blocked her
I know, this seems selfish, butI really don't know what to do anymore and my other friends are still in contact with her

| >>597531 I know it's hard, but this is a very toxic situation. You've offered help numerous times, and she refused it. you don't know her address or anything.. you've done all you can, OP.

I was in your exact situation a few weeks ago with an online friend. He scared the hell out of me talking about killing himself, and then he went offline for 4 days... all I knew is that he lived in vincennes and goes to uni there. I didnt know his actual name either.

| >>597546 Thanks

Total number of posts: 19, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1569102439

This thread is permanently archived