danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Prefetcher's sold the website to Discord for $100,000 USD.

| This is probably a bad time with the recent return of REOLfag and all, but as one of the few janitors left who even browses the website, I thought I should let you all know that danger/u/ has been sold to Hammer & Chisel- the developers of the Discord chat app.

The negotiations had been on going for several months now, especially since the company tried to buy the website for, I shit you not, $100 USD. This was further complicated by Prefetcher's actual age and birth date being obfuscated by memes and their own emphasis on privacy, so there was some drama going on with the developers trying to figure out "who really owns and operates dangeru.us."

Eventually they accepted that the website really was created by like two people, but that's when further restrictions started being implemented, like the removal of some channels from our own discord server. You ever wonder why discord links are so barren? It's to control the flow of people so that the devs didn't get pissed off during negotiations, since they treated everyone pretty condescendingly throughout the ordeal.

That said, Prefetcher needs to start saving for college, and Lain has bills to pay, so eventually a deal was reached, to the tune of $100,000 USD. It's going toward's Prefetcher's education at a prestigious engineering school, though supposedly the rest is going to be used to work closer with Sukeban Games (VA-11, Hall-a devs), since they had a pretty comfy relationship to begin with.

Now, the bad news... first off, it goes without saying that the license for the way the website looks (it's taken directly from VA-11, Hall-a after all) was with Prefetcher, not Discord, and I don't think it's going to be grandfathered in, so some changes are set for the near future. The main reason Discord even bought the website is because they're still trying to compete with Steam in the online vidya space, and thought they'd try their hand at a social network.

So, by the end of the week, one of the first things that will happen is the creation of an account system for the site. You'll have to link an already active Discord account in order to access it (they decided against a separate system so they could use their current monitoring tools to prevent bots/hackers/etc). You'll need to read and sign the same TOS you signed when making the Discord account, which includes agreeing to said monitoring.

Cloudflare is getting dropped and will be replaced with Discord's own system which will take the form of a login screen, similar to what you already see when signing into Discord with a web browser.

Unfortunately, this also means that the app on google play will be non responsive throughout this process, and supposedly it's going to be taken down since Discord doesn't own the rights to the music being streamed on it either.

The Augmented Eye and Kira Miki's blog will remain, in some form, but the Eye will be converted into a Discord and video game news feed while the Blog will become a new platform for aspiring twitch streamers to show case their work. They're working on a monetary system to get up on that- I heard it's like five bucks per post or something, but I didn't look into it too much.

The official danger/u/ discord is going to become a "partner," but a lot of the content will need to be scrapped and there's talk about an entirely new server being developed instead, so that the server will be properly in line with the new TOS. Anyone who previously posted lewds that Discord disapproves of is probably getting banned, but... uh... they haven't answered any questions about that.

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001494012-Discord-Partnership-Requirements

This part especially sucks, but several of the boards are being removed from the site as well. The ones being axed are /cyb/, /news/, /d/, /burg/, /lain/, and /test/. There was a huge fight in the discord over /cyb/ but the terms were to either give Discord perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free rights to use any "creative content" posted to /cyb/, just like it is on Discord, or to remove it entirely, and the roleplayers didn't want their stuff taken away. Aoi agreed to let /news/ be killed rather than joining additional staff to "oversee that the board remain fair and balanced" and kept free of "fake news." /d/ was pretty much self explanatory, and Discord doesn't own the rights to the /burg/er girl nor /lain/. /test/ is becoming internal.

/v/ almost got the axe too, honestly, but they agreed to spare it as long as we remove all trace of our huge list of free and emulated games, including the MMO list, and wrote in new rules to make the posting of any similar content a bannable offense.

It also goes without saying that radi/u/ is also being sunset, for the same as every other reason listed above- Discord doesn't own the licenses. Honestly, the only thing that seems to be sticking around are the variety of tools used to make all these things on github, since they're still open source.

...You know, I can't really stay positive about this at all. I had to rewrite this text wall a few times just so that it wouldn't get deleted and rewritten by the new staff for not following guidelines- and for all I know, it might get deleted anyway. But this is more or less also my resignation letter.

It's been great "living" on this board for the past two plus years, and being a mod for it for about half of that. Even when it was at its lowest and most toxic, I'd still argue that this was, and still mostly is, a better community than the imageboards it was partly inspired by. Unfortunately, it feels like all social media will eventually get consumed by big business, and with all that entails.

We still have an IRC somewhere, since that isn't hosted on the main server that held all the danger/u/ content (I think), so it shouldn't be part of the deal with Discord. I might pass by there from time to time, though under a different handle- it's hard to be a color mod when everything's gray, yeah?

Anyway... that's all I got. g/u/rls, its been an honor and a pleasure to watch over you, through thick and thin. But I have no intention in being an unpaid intern- been there, done that.

So long, and thanks for all the memes.

-The color mod.

| I, for one, welcome our new Discord overlords.
Good riddance, I mean Pref's said fuck danger/u/. I've seen't it in the banner!

| Discord was always a shitty company with shitty mentality, and it shows once again.
But hey, everyone is loving these spreading cancers, so let's go. Once the whole internet is controlled by a few shitty companies like that, people will start crying, and I will be laughing.

| However, could as well be an April's fool joke. Don't know which version would be the funnier.

| I can't believe you've done this

| I'm okay with this, but removing /burg/. You don't fuck with burgs.

| >>547462
Yes, the only issue with this. Is there a Discord representative we can talk to about this injustice?

|

| Paging new Discord mods of danger/u/, hello?
Accidentally blank posted, whoops.

| >>547463
Yea I mean, what are we going to do with the burgs we have? I'm willing to shill extra if they keep burgs.

| No danger u pass this year? Smh

| >>547468
Oh but you can! Just pay 9.99$ a month for Discord Nitro! probably

| >>547470
Can't they like just make Nitro but for Burgs?

| Look at the bright side people
We'll get video chat in dangeru!

| >>547470
How do I nitro?

| Are we really worth 100,000 USD? I'd think we would be worth at least like 5

| >>547529

I'd buy that for a dollar

| What is discord?
And which address has the danger/u/ IRC server?

| 2.4. Announcement of Discord: Today will be Danger/u/ exclusive function just for subscribers of Discord Nitro!

| Can't tell if this is an April fools joke or not...

| >>547557 I do hope it is...

| >>547557 you think Danger/u/ is worth $100,000 to Discord?

| Got me good
Hahahahhaha ha ha

| Gurl, I waited the entirety of April 1st for this and you just dropped it in now

| I'd buy this site for $1.47 max

| It's the second of April and the thread is still here. I'm scared, girls.

| I'm raising the current bid to a toonie!

##Janitor:Stormy##

| Morning everyone!

Happy April Fool's Day. ;)

| >>72dc32 holy shit I was so scared! Not my /d/

| how do i delete stormy

| Stormy, keep our bullets in a special place near your heart.

| >>547669 thinking

| >>547669 (ಠ_ಠ)
Don't joke about that to me or my son again

| >>547669
hug

| God, you scared me
Please don't let this happen, ever

| Off with discord's head! We shalln't be oppressed by these corporate heads!

##Janitor:Stormy##

| >>547805

>hugs

>headpats all.

| I love you, color mod.

| Scrolling down made my mood go down, until the reveal which just made everything obsolete. Was about to cry reading this in a meeting I'm having lol

| Although it was kinda obvious since the newz was in /u/ and not on the latest updates

| That $2 offer is still standing btw.

| I really thought we were going to be sold for 100$, considering we're only worth about 50 cents

| I'm glad this was an april fools joke. Discord is absolutely atrocious

Total number of posts: 43, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1554529622

This thread is permanently archived