danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Finally Moving out of my folk's place!

| It's been way, way too long after college, but it's finally happening, I'm getting a room of my own! I'm hyped to move out, but know there will be some pitfalls along the way. Do you guys have any suggestions for starting out on your own?

| Congratulations

| Congrats OP!

| Er, first off, don't discount sleep and eating properly.

Which sounds like common sense but is really easy to do and fucks everyone over really quick.

| Also, you should save some money for healthcare. About a grand or two at the minimum if possible.

| Get a plunger and check the plumbing if its shite.
>Clog toilet, plunge it like the fist of the north star
>I manage to flush it but then I notice the drains arent doing their job
>My fucking turd rises out of the drain like its pissed at me

I cant really move out of this place but the maintenance crew fixed it and I got half off my rent of a month

| Also, cook your own food. You save so much. If you have to live on ramen, add an egg and spring onions

| Holy smokes g/u/rl. Figure how to consistently get a good night's rest. After I moved out I was so unreliable for like a year just because I couldn't figure out how to maintain a sleep schedule. If ever I didn't show up someplace, it's because I was asleep. What finally saved me was a sleeplog. Like one of those bullet journal things. But for sleep. Figure out how to keep a sleep schedule. And do it quick.

| get one of those drain snakes for unclogging sinks and things. you'll never need it unless you REALLY need it

buy secondhand everything - dishes, cookware, etc - EXCEPT mattresses and couches. get em from thrift stores, craigslist, old relatives. buy necessities like toilet paper, paper towels, soaps, shampoos etc in bulk. i haven't had to buy toilet paper in almost a year.

do not skimp out on mattresses. you can buy that $80 one off amazon but you'll pay ten times that (cont)

| for the doctor's visits when you inevitably fuck up your back. here's where i bought mine, a bit pricier than walmart but plenty of bang for your buck: https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/12253492011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Zinus&ref_=w_bl_hsx_s_fr_web_12253492011

| For cheap, effective, and mostly safe exercise, get a backpack and fill it with weights. Start with about 10% of your own weight and then gradually increase how much you wear, but avoid exceeding 40 lb/20 kilos unless you're preparing to enter the military.

Walk around with that while you do your daily chores/head around neighborhoods/visit malls etc and it'll gradually improve your health without having to do much. It's called "rucking" and is a real thing.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19515616/top-fitness-trend/

| https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/the-benefits-of-rucking/

| acquire cheap cooking equipment, but dont spend all your money on a full set of things, start small and work your way uo. if your parents are middle class pack rats like mine, they will have pots and pans and utensils to get you started.

slowly expand your repertoire. cooking for 1 can be hard sometimes, figuring out how to use up extra ingedients and whatnot before they expire. but just know you can throw almost any vegetables in a pan together and call it "stir fry".

| also, go ahead and replace all the smoke alarm batteries with fresh ones so you dont get jolted awake at 2am in the first month, wondering what the fuck that beeping is, and not get any sleep that night.

its the little things.

| Why?

Living with parents is comfy and you have less bills to pay

| back to cooking utensils: you dont need a bajillion specialized knives. do NOT buy a set! i have been using the same nice stainless steel 8" Chefs knife i got on sale from Amazon for $20 bux for EVERYTHING. I use a "steel" on it every now and then to maintain the edge, and its still fairly sharp after 2 years of abuse.

my mom has a drawer full of knives, but never uses more than 2 lol...

if you want beginner cooking advice, ive made enough mistakes for others to learn from them.

| >>543558
I can be naked and jerk off anywhere I want. I can do that at my parent's house too but they'll kick me out right after, pretty sure they won't let me cum too

| >>543571 makes sense

| on the topic of cooking, here's a real neat spices chart i saved from another board:
http://imgbox.com/BIWloOD4
http://imgbox.com/5wTJmfQ9
buy spices, OP! they last for years just sitting in your pantry and can make the simplest of dishes 100x better

| >>543558
OP here.
My folks are good people, but I just can't function properly under their rules anymore. I know they want what's best for me and all, but when I'm getting raged at for eating cranberries in your oatmeal, I can't but acknowledge things have gotten absurd and unhealthy.

It's been years since I graduated, and because of my school bills I wasn't able to get on my feet. Now that I have a chance, I don't want to waste it.

| >>543634
Same. But when I visted them again they were so chill and supportive and respectful of my decisions like wtf why werent you guys like that when I was a kid. I hope they get abused in a nursing home.

| >>543409 can't relate more. Today I fell asleep at 5 am. I need to get my shit together

| >>543652
I don't wish any harm on my folks, I just want to relieve the pressure. I want to do what they suggest, but I get grilled about it so hard that I end up just getting bent out of shape, being unable to focus for days even. It really messes me up and makes me less effective.

Total number of posts: 23, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1553801863

This thread is permanently archived