danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
How is one supposed to find their passion in life?

| I have met many people already who REALLY care about something. I'd even say that most do. And by that I guess I mean that they're really passionate, about their job, or their hobby, or some fandom or other random topic. Sometimes to the point where it becomes their defining characteristic, although that's more rare.
Meanwhile, here I am, wasting away at my 9-6 job (even though I kinda like working where I do and doing what I do), spending my free time on youtube or gaming.

| You like music? Ever wanted to make music?
You like video games? Ever wanted to make a video game?
Are you happy with yourself now? Or maybe there are parts of you that you want to erradicate?
Ever thought about collecting stuff?
Wanna start playing some game and become the best?

| >>526668
I do like music. I've dabbled in FL Studio and KORG stuff on my DS for months, but nothing came out of that.
I do like videogames. Probably more than anything. Currently chipping away at Godot engine 1 line of documentation at a time, but prior experiences with PyGame and SFML didn't end up in anything substantial.
No, I am not happy with myself. I'm bland. Boring. Partly because I'm shy and quiet, partly because I don't really have anything interesting going on with me.

| >>526668
Collecting stuff really isn't for me, partly because I'm not interested in anything enough to start collecting related stuff.
And I don't really like competitive games if that's what you mean. I've thought of speedrunning before, but honestly, I just lack the patience required to master something like that.

| 1/2
>Sometimes to the point where it becomes their defining characteristic
That's it. Even though you said that it's rare, you must understand that a passion doesn't have an everlasting presence in somebody's life. It's manifestation can be sudden and abrupt.

| 2/2
I know a girl not personally that started drawing when she was 19 in order to go to the arts college. It was after her exams. Don't know how american educational system works, but in Russia all school studens must go through the Only Governmental Exam and then use the results to apply to the university. She is now living in Prague and studying in UMPRUM. She is creative, but you wouldn't tell that she can draw or that she is even interested in such a thing.

| I am myself interested in linguistics, games, music, philosophy, lots of things. And I do not consume thoughts and knowledge for the sake of consumption, not because of passion, but for my own sake. I don't want to be possesd by ideas, shoving them deep into my brain and then spreading them around, but someone who manifestates them into reality and even exploits them for my own or someone else's good.
Your real passion should be you and your closest people. Maybe people generally.

| If you really want to create something then create yourself a happy life or satisfaction with yourself. >I am not happy with myself
You seem to be lacking that. Games and music, being art, are a mere form of expression. Do you have anything to tell the world? If not then don't

| Another take: your job doesn't HAVE to be where you practice your passion. If you like your job and it pays you well enough to live comfortably, stay with it. Use your disposable income and free time to find a hobby you like.

Getting deep into a hobby is very rewarding and can help you make lifelong friends. And the possibilities are endless (though will be limited somewhat by what's around you - it's hard to get into skiing if you live in Florida).

| Hobbies cont.

You've tried video games and music, but you don't even have to start making them to explore them further as a hobby. Find a game you love with a competitive scene and enter it, or start a blog about music, keep up with new releases, and go to concerts.

Or look for something new - join a bowling league, start hiking, take a photography or cooking class, play Magic the Gathering, go to trivia night at bars. Was there anything you liked as a kid but couldn't do?

| Hobbies 3.

Things that either work your creative juices or that get you out of the house and into the company of people with similar interests will be the most rewarding.

Once you find a hobby you like, it may be possible to turn it into a career after years of practice have made you good at it. But you don't have to, you can always just enjoy it for yourself.

| >>2d5737 At the end of the day, we can't tell you what to do with your life. Nobody can.
However, let me tell you this: Keep looking for passion, meaning and your true self. By doing so, you instantly become better than most people.

| Not OP but can I just say, >>aeec94 and>>8accc6 (and anyone else in this thread, really) that as someone dealing with a similar situation as OP, thanks for that keen advice. It's always heartwarming to stumble upon a thread like this and find gurls that are willing to listen and provide meaningful solutions.

| Also, this time to OP: I think one of the biggest problems that leads us to thinking in that certain way is that we think most people have it all figured out; their dreams, their goals, their motivations. What we tend to forget is that despite how confident with life their outwards appearance may project, they might not have it all figured out either. Or, even if they do have it all figured out now, they likely didn't at some point.

| Except for that 1% of people (metaphorically speaking) who, for their entire life have known what they want to achieve, everyone else is making it up as they go along. And that's okay. This also means that you don't have to stick to one goal or hobby all your life. Just do what makes you happy. And it's also okay to be aimless for a little while, as long as it helps you identify your priorities and what you want from life. Just know that you aren't the only one.

| You have a job that you like to do and still have free time. Sounds like you have a stable life, OP. Honestly that's lifegoal already.

| I am fond of Vidya actually, some may not call it a hobby but I spend my time poking around game files and leaked beta/source code when im not hunkered by college/intern stuff.

I collect obscure games(mainly horror) and saving up cash for modded 360 & PS2, my labtop cant run emulation properly.

Other than that, I spend time playing YGO TCG w/ people & DnD on the side on weekends. And collect action figures of the Halo & Lost Planet Series too.

| The solution is to try things. Ever tried making origami? Handmade jewelry? Sculpture, woodworking? Electronics, programming? A lifetime isn't enough to try everything, but if you don't try enough of course you won't find what you like.

| Personally, ever since I was born I've had a deep love for firearms. I don't care for the bullets and the science behind them, I'm not super in-depth intrigued in the internal workings of firearms but I do find them somewhat fascinating at times. I love the looks, the sounds, the feel, I LOVE guns. Think back on your childhood and try to remember what you had a deep love for. Pursue it, see if you can find a passion in it.

| >>527255 Agreed, the answer for OP's question often lies in the childhood.

| >>527264 >>527255

I loved dinosaurs and wanted to be an accountant when I grew up. I, uh... I doubt the answer's there.

>myers belly fetal

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1549389593

This thread is permanently archived