danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Seneca is awesome.

| There is a lot of Silicon-valley wankery around Stoicism, but this is gold.
>if we give up all society, turn our backs upon the whole human race, and live communing with ourselves alone, this solitude without any interesting occupation will lead to a want of something to do: we shall begin to make a bad disposal of the time which Nature has given us to spend. Often a man who is very old in years has nothing beyond his age by which he can prove that he has lived a long time.

| Source is https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Of_Peace_of_Mind
I wish I had read that when I was a teenager.

| >>515151 interesting. I think interpersonal relationships are a way for people to multiply their activity. We, as a (global) society may not realize what we have lost for a very long time. I find it very difficult to initiate and maintain friendships, so I always tend to become more alone without purposefully trying to be social. I still haven't figured out how to make it stick.

| You have the weirdest hobby, op.

I think I'm too dumb for this, but I'm not really seeing what quote ia trying to say. I guess... turning our back on society and instead focusing only on ourselves mean we got nothing to compare ourselves with?

| Here in Italy we study Latin literature in high school, and studying Seneca this year was really enlightening

| >>515248
I'm on the older side, so reading Seneca is normal stuff to me. I realize it might not be that easy to younger people (I mean studying Latin was normal back in the day, so it helps even with translated texts).
Seneca just give general advice on how to live a good life, and the advice is surprisingly relevant.
In the quoted text, he deals with an issue most people know: the wish to avoid the world/people, and then, the wish to engage it.

| >>515248
>>515433
(cont.) He warns not to remain unproductive if one was to choose solitude, as "nothing can be more shameful. Often a man who is very old in years has nothing beyond his age by which he can prove that he has lived a long time."
This is full of good life advice, and methods to actually implement it : "We ought, however, first to examine our own selves, next the business which we propose to transact, next those for whose sake or in whose company we transact it. "

| I like this thread, and the subject matter.

| what if im unproductive but didnt choose solitude

| >>515680
Fear not, Seneca has all the answers.
In short: Peace of mind is what you want (What we are seeking, then, is how the mind may always pursue a steady, unruffled course, may be pleased with itself, and look with pleasure upon its surroundings, and experience no interruption of this joy, but abide in a peaceful condition without being ever either elated or depressed: this will be "peace of mind.")

| >>515705
(cont.) Otherwise, the risk is to become one of "those who suffer from fickleness and continual changes of purpose, who always are fondest of what they have given up, and those who merely yawn and dawdle". (looks familiar?)
This is a disease of the mind with one effect: "making people dissatisfied with themselves."
It happens "when men either dare not attempt as much as they wish to do, or fail in their efforts and depend entirely upon hope".

| >>515707
(cont.)
The solution is, for Seneca, to be a part of the world, "to occupy oneself with business, with the management of affairs of state and the duties of a citizen"
How ? "We ought, however, first to examine our own selves, next the business which we propose to transact, next those for whose sake or in whose company we transact it. "

| >>515680
You can also read the stuff (or find a more current translation, this one is kinda old).
The first paragraph is a guy named Serenus asking Seneca for advice, as he feels like shit and doesn't know what to do with himself.
Second paragraph is Seneca describing the disease (you, and everyone, will recognize yourself in there).
The rest of the text is the cure.

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1545230276

This thread is permanently archived