danger/u/
Russia To Spend $646 Million To Block VPNs

| The money will be used to upgrade hardware used to filter internet traffic, as well as block or slow down certain resources. Following the full-scale invasion of Ukraine, the Kremlin forced out several foreign social media and internet companies, although many services remain accessible via virtual private networks, or VPNs. The system upgrades will allow Russian authorities to better restrict access to VPNs.

| It's about total control of information online. Putin really appreciates what China has achieved in this regard and he wants the same. No dissent, no criticism, the ruling party is the best party in the world and anyone who disagrees with it is an enemy of the state.
It would not be technically difficult for Russia to MiTM all traffic and block all VPN. Or sever all links and jail anybody who manages to get a Starlink terminal.

| Like any good fascism. Cannot have the population know how the world outside really looks.

Why a people elect a government that seeks to control them is always beyond me.

| >>1027192
Probably because it gives them the warm, fuzzy feeling that there is some higher authority that takes care of them and their needs and they do not have to make decisions or understand anything or take responsibility for anything. Incidentally, this is more prevalent in conservatives, who are deeply afraid of change of any kind. And, not by coincidence, this is also why the deranged idea of "organized religion" is so successful. Same principle if more abstract.

| Well, there's neo-cons who want lots of change, just the changes they want and not the other kind of changes. Sort of conservative but instead of keeping things how they are, they want to restore to a fictitious view of how they think things were in the past. Not conservative per se, but reactionary.

| Ah, but it's all in how you phrase it. This tight control over the population just has to be labled as "freedom" and they'll vote for it. Because it's freedom for us but not for them. They're just trying to ban all the false religions instead of the one true religion which will retain its freedom. They're just banning all the unpatriotic parties, meaning all of them except for the one true political party,

| -because only that one party will guarantee freedom. They're just banning all the news outlets that lie constantly about Dear Leader, but proper subservient news outlets will retain the freedom to say exactly what they're expected to say. Anyone who disagrees with this wonderful system of freedom is clearly an enemy agent of a foreign power and needs to be harshly dealt with.

| Good luck with that.

| 8:30 in Kiev, BTW. Have a nice shift, guys.

| Happy 9/11, op!

| >>1027202
Technically speaking it can't be 100% prevented between 1-on-1 traffic so that's obviously not the point, but like in china it can prevent the russian population from accessing many-to-many connections.

The goal isn't to stop all web traffic. Russ wants to stop many-to-many communication channels that can be used to organize unrest.

More and more russians are losing faith in their government for each passing day and russia is heading towards hard times.

| So it's important for Putin to try and secure his seat on the throne amidst the economic hardships that he himself caused for his country and its populace. Rough times are coming for the russians but the only ones who can kick the vatniks to the curb are the russians themselves.

| happy 9/11 everynyan!

| >>1027233
*I’LL * stop him!!! You come to my house right now Putin if you think you can keep my gurls off /u/!!!!!! If I hit him on the head with a bat his being a man won’t help. This stuff is very concerning. Them banning tor is already megasketchy. Can’t think if you can’t talk.

And I do like the feeling someone’s protecting me and it’ll be ok. I wish I could do that for all of you, but individuals just claiming without long term structures supporting it is scary.

| And happy 9/11 day! I can kinda see the argument for censorship because I don’t trust the population who all do ‘the normal thing’ to ever disobey what they see is normal in media, but I think state power makes it even worse for minorities. I think what’s needed is supportive small institutions like families and religions to actually protect us, within a tolerant state. When the little guys go corrupt, people can switch away. I don’t have a huge plan right now though. What’s yours?

| Tor Bridges, Psiphon, and regular proxies still exist. Russia was so incompetent that they recently blocked Azure IPs used for domain fronting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ZiBYR-1MM&t=15m25s

I wouldn't be too worried, but it's definitely worth accounting for and spreading the word around Tor and other things if possible.

OONI will notice stuff: https://ooni.org

| I miss you, russian people that used to do all sort of things on youtube, twitter and other social media
Why does the world has to separate us...

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1726281620

This thread is closed.