danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Ukraine Considering Legalizing Gay Marriage

| https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/life/ukraine-to-consider-legalising-same-sex-marriage-after-thousands-sign-petition/

By Conor Clark

Ukraine will consider legalising same-sex marriage after a petition calling on the country to do so was signed more than 28,000 times.

As it crossed the 25,000 threshold required for consideration from the current acting president, Volodymyr Zelensky now has 10 days to respond to it.

Although homosexuality is not illegal in Ukraine, same-sex marriages and civil partnerships are not recognised.

This means that certain rights, including co-ownership of property, are not accessible for gay couples.

It has also resulted in problems for LGBTQ+ people in the military following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, as same-sex partners are not able to collect their partner’s body if they die in battle.

Speaking to the BBC, Oksana Solonska, media communications manager at Kyiv Pride, said: “It is important that LGBTQ people have the right to see their partner and take their body from the morgue, and seek compensation if needed.”

She continued: “All married couples have these rights. We really hope that same-sex marriage will be legalised, so people will be able to take care of each other.”

Presidential consideration of the petition does not guarantee any change in law and it is unclear whether or not Zelensky will push to legalise same-sex marriage.

Ukraine has an anti-discrimination law that was introduced in 2015, though many LGBTQ+ people still suffer intolerance in the country.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2022/07/12/ukraine-will-consider-legalizing-same-sex-marriage-after-petition-garners-28000-signatures/

TOPLINE A petition urging the Ukrainian government to legalize same-sex marriage amid Russia’s invasion has amassed tens of thousands of signatures and has been sent to President Volodymyr Zelensky for consideration.

KEY FACTS
More than 28,000 people signed the petition, which argues that in war-torn Ukraine “every day can be the last,” and same-sex couples deserve the opportunity to “start a family and have an official document to prove it.”

Any petition in Ukraine that garners more than 25,000 signatures is automatically eligible for consideration by the president, who is required to respond within ten days.

CRUCIAL QUOTE
“At this time, every day can be the last,” wrote Anastasia Andriivna Sovenko, the listed author of the petition. “Let people of the same sex get the opportunity to start a family and have an official document to prove it. They need the same rights as traditional couples.”

TANGENT
It’s unclear if Zelenksy would support legalizing same-sex marriage in Ukraine. Zelensky said he didn’t want to say “anything negative” about Ukraine’s LGBTQ+ community in response to a homophobic heckler during a 2019 press conference. “We all live in an open society where each one can choose the language they speak, their ethnicity and orientation,” Zelensky said. “Leave those people alone, for God’s sake!” He has also come under fire from gay rights groups in Ukraine for not dismissing Oleksiy Arestovych, one of his closest advisors who last month said members of the LGBTQ+ community are “deviant.”

KEY BACKGROUND
Homosexuality has been legal in Ukraine since 1991, but same-sex partnerships are not lawfully recognized. While Ukraine’s anti-discrimination laws include protections for sexual orientation and gender identity, “negative societal attitudes impede the effect of laws in practice,” according to the UCL European Institute. In May, a study from the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology found that 38.2% of Ukrainians polled had a negative view of the LGBTQ+ community, down from 60.4% in 2016.

------------

Used two sources since the GAY TIMES was rather short.

| The reason I don't care for Ukraine is because both Ukrainians and Russians would see me murdered for being who I am.
The world's tiniest step in the right direction, I suppose, so good luck.

| i want fucking billy herrington monument in odessa

| хАХА

| Pitler is gay

| >>880742 are you crimean?

| Ok

| Оk

| >>880768
Jokes aside, there is much evidence for suppressed homosexual energy.
It's suprising to find it always there where it is least expected. For example also the whole military has so many gay vibes ("Brothers in Arms").
Who knows, probably in an alternative timeline where the soviets managed to overcome patriarchy, pitler would become a cute femboy.
However gay marriage is not entirely a progressive achievement, since marriage is in general a conservative institution.

| ukraine wants to suck dick and become an another fucking faggot country, like it's western masters.

| Damn, after all that war, I guess it needs some love...be it same sex

| >>880853 greek holy legion moment

| I guess that's one way to drum up attention so you don't get forgotten. America eats up any opportunity to wage their eternal left vs. right war and Ukraine can get more supplies.

| >>880853 cope seeth

| LoL

| It will be funny

| >>fe5952
wanna suck my dick to know how it feels ?

| >>881045 yes I do

| >>09ce65
Sorry about your site being full of retards/samefags. It was great while it lasted.

| >>881518

Thanks. I'm sort of used to it now.

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1658155213

This thread is permanently archived