danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
[Chile] Gabriel Boric defeats far-right rival in presidential election

| >Gabriel Boric, a leftist former student leader, will become Chile’s youngest president after storming to a resounding victory in a run-off vote against his ultra-conservative far-right opponent, José Antonio Kast.

>With nearly 97% of the vote counted, the 35-year-old claimed 55.8% to take a 12 percentage point lead over Kast, who quickly accepted his defeat and called Boric to congratulate him.

Good job, Chile!!
All the best for you and your people!

| Src: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/19/leftist-gabriel-boric-elected-as-chiles-president

| "I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its people. The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves."
Henry Kissinger

| I'm a centrist, and I didn't vote either for kast or boric, but I hope Boric will help our country the best way he can help. At the end of the day, he's just a chilean that wants the best for us, I hope he's not that misguided by the commies though.

| Man this is really weird conceptually, like some round 2 type shit. I guess it was all over latin america but didn't the US fund an extreme right opposition in the 60s? The one that did helicopter memes.

They were the only left country that didn't go the cuba or soviet route and did pretty well economically before they got toppled.

It'll be interesting to see how much they can get done.

| The cold war is a bygone era. Hopefully the U.S can learn to allow the people to choose whatever government they so please and not destabilize the country out of fear. On the other hand, I hope the new leaders don't antagonize the rest of the west as a pathetic attempt to rile up support.

| >>816065
Cold war may bygone but the cold warriors still exist and they continue doing the same shit they are used to. The US empire will never allow people to choose a government that stands in the way of the political-economical interests of the oligarchy. Currently the only option for minor powers are bowing to US imperialism or to sell their souls to politically not less problematic competitors like china or russia.
To all of them chile is nothing but a big copper mine.

| >>816131 so you say, and while true, American interventionism is falling out of favor with the American people, so we can at least expect them to not send any troops to forcefully bring 'democracy' any time soon.

Total number of posts: 8, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1640107905

This thread is permanently archived