danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Electoral college

| Non-yank here, curious about this institution since its different with what most govs I know of have running. The idea was to give candidates attention to less pop states and avoid 'tyranny of the majority'. Main concern is that it gives all its votes to state majority voters and ignores the rest. Heard something about Maine having a sort of hybrid vote distribution unique to ec itself also. Would it be better to remove this complication in your opinion?

| To some extent, the electoral college is still necessary even if it's downright insulting to anyone with a brain. As someone who has worked in a polling location for state elections, the number of people who are unable to read what is written on a ballot is astoundingly high and I can't imagine how much worse it is for a presidential election.

1/2

| 2/2
That being said, there isn't a good solution to getting electors to represent what the voting populace is placing their ballots for since electors are not beholden to them. If the electoral college isn't going away(which it never will), it might be better to increase the number of representatives in congress. There was an omitted bill in the Bill of Rights that said there should be a representative in the House for every 5k people.

| 3/2 because I didn't know how long this would be

If something like that were to be put into place, it would be a lot more difficult for the U.S. government to screw over the average citizen due to there simply being more people who need to approve government actions while giving smaller political parties representation in congress, which is part of why the Electoral College exists in the first place.

| The political institutions of the USA in regards to their people are essentially a giant band-aid.

Total number of posts: 5, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1618138400

This thread is permanently archived