danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
People with autism 'have problem with self-awareness'

| Self-awareness is an important terminology under self-concept. Self-awareness refers to being aware of self as “the object of own attention,” including “one’s own mental states (e.g., perceptions, sensations, attitudes, intentions, emotions), public self-aspects (e.g., behaviors, and general physical appearance)”

| Considering the characteristics of ASD, examples of self-awareness experiences in individuals with ASD within this framework include the following: (1) they do not know what they do not know, so it is hard for them to judge when and how to know more; (2) they have difficulty telling the differences between their own or others’ preferences and emotions in social situations;

| (3) they have difficulty relating their own behaviors to environmental and social contexts/situations, and to others’ actions; (4) they have difficulty understanding self and others’ thoughts and feelings, etc.

| Researchers have found that impairments in the self-system are usually correlated with these individuals’ social and cognitive functioning levels: high functioning individuals with ASD who have higher IQ are found to have better awareness of their limitations in social and communication domains than those with lower IQ.

| url: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.01422/full

| Telling people they arent self aware wont make them more self aware

| >>734337
That's not what the article is about...
RTFA

>Generally, individuals with ASD are not proficient in using language as a tool for guiding behavior and emotional regulation, which may lead to uncomfortable or awkward social situations when interacting with others, and consequentially cause ineffective social communication in this population.

| >Additionally, individuals with ASD have difficulty perceiving emotional states and considering plausible causal factors, initiating and maintaining conversational exchanges, understanding the interests of others and previous knowledge others hold which may cause misconceptions about others. Furthermore, poor social problem solving skills suggests they cannot recognize and repair breakdowns in these exchanges

| >>734341 Ik I read the article I just dont see what else there is to talk about it,lack of self awareness is a problem but there arent many ways to fight it and Im thinking about the point this thing, are we gonna tell people to be more self aware? Educate people on self awareness? What can we do to solve it?

| >>734344 Science is about understanding. Stop trying to solve problems without knowing what the problem is first.

| >>734439 bruh. Are you disagreeing just to disagree now?

| >>734453 Let me put it that way: first we try to understand things, then with that knowledge we can find solutions. It's not the other way around. So complaining about things that we discover, because "it doesn't do anything" is nonsensical.

| >>734489 but Im not complaining about the article. You just assumed that and thinks that Im putting the solution before the problem.

| >>734495 "I'm thinking about the point of this thing" -> getting more kmowledge.

| >>734644 I didnt mean the research, I meant the thread, because while there is an article in it, there really isnt much to talk about it, I was thinking the whole time:

"why did op post this? Do they wanna talk about it? What should we talk that is related to that? Does op think people here lack self awareness? If so, telling them or hinting at it wont do much. If they wanted to just share the article why did they choose danger/u/? Its so small, what is the point of this thread!?"

| >>734686 they pro just found it interesting and wanted to share it with a community they like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just cuz danger/u/ is small doesn't mean it's not worth it to spread information here

| >>735203 fair

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1612100026

This thread is permanently archived