danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Racism Is Rampant on Reddit, and Its Editors Are in Open Revolt

| The volunteer moderators of Reddit's r/blackladies community wrote an open letter outlining their frustrations with the popular website in August 2014. They had pitched their message board, known as a subreddit, as a safe space for Black women, but were being deluged with hateful comments and links to racist content from anonymous accounts. "They are relentless, coming in barrages," the moderators wrote. "We have a racist user problem and Reddit won't take action."

| Several months later Alexis Ohanian, one of Reddit’s co-founders, joined a comment thread on r/blackladies discussing the letter. Ohanian, who had recently returned to the company as its executive chairman, said protecting communities like theirs from abuse was a “top priority.” He solicited suggestions on how to do it, and expressed interest in an “ongoing dialogue with all of the mods who signed onto the open letter.”

| Reddit has faced several potential inflection points in its approach to racism in the six years since then, but has never undertaken a full enough reckoning to satisfy its critics. It’s facing another big moment in the aftermath of the killing of George Floyd.

The site’s CEO says it will implement a new hate speech policy.

| https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-18/racism-is-rampant-on-reddit-and-its-editors-are-in-open-revolt

| The problem with racist and bigots is they really don't see themselves that way. However they are fearful of the others taking power and use that power to put them at a disadvantage.

Sites need to moderate these people, because they are doing harm. However by moderating them, they are feeling more threatened thus get more aggressive.

If I am trying to catch a mouse, I need to corner it so I can actually catch it, but when I do, it will become aggressive and possibly bite me.

| One of the big thing with the Black Lives Matter protests is the number of Whites who are protesting with them, and standing with them. This is putting them in a moral corner. Where they feel they are being attacked because not a lot of people are joining to back them up. So they will become more cruel and viscous as best as they can. Usually just trolling internet boards. But if they have more power they can be very dangerous.

Total number of posts: 6, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1592495300

This thread is permanently archived