danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
I don't hate anyone, I just love conspiracy theories

| It's fun to think what-ifs and imagine a crazy world where an evil power is taking over and I'm the only one who can stop it!

Sad thing the real world is not that interesting... :(

Just greedy old men tricking normal civilians to get votes everywhere.

| >>573892
>Sad thing the real world is not that interesting...
Good news: The real world is much more interesting. There may be no conspiracies like in soap-operas, ancient epic and modern fantasy literature. But there is a system that is much more complex and cries for beeing analyzed properly with all its potential advantages, its flaws and its limits which require to reform or overthrow it in favour of a better, new system (which is also a very interesting topic).

| I've got a story for you, OP. I heard it on an economics podcast a while ago (sorry if I misremember smth).
There was a secret organization which controlled most lightbulb manufacturers in Europe and maybe the US during the 1920s and 30s. According to rumor, they had a secret hideout, where the important people from the member companies met. They also tested lightbulbs there, and had them in speicalized cabinets with massive rows of bulbs being timed to see when they burnt out.

| The purpose of this organization was not just to limit prices like a normal cartel, but also to divide lightbulb sales by region, and most importantly prevent any of the member companies from making a lightbulb which lasted too long. They would test each others bulbs to make sure nobody was trying to sell 'long lasting' ones, because then they wouldn't get to sell as often. That was one of the first widespread uses of planned obsolescence. When WWII started, though, they shut down.

| So, while this evil conspiracy to weaken lightbulb sales might not be the most interesting conspiracy, it can happen. And, of course, this was only the group that wasn't powerful enough to not be caught!

| >>574045

I believe this is a concept known as "price fixing?" Its definitely not an unheard of one, otherwise there wouldn't be laws against it. But its surprising that this was killed, not by the law, but by World War 2...

| >>574092 Most cartels were killed by laws, but this one was kept a better secret and it was more multinational than others, which made it harder for countries to use their existing legislation (afaik). It wasn't so much that it 'wasn't killed by the law' but that WWII got there first.

| >>574096
>Most cartels were killed by laws
When? Where? I never heard about this place/era.

| >>574092
Also there is no conspiracy necessary to fix prices and laws can't change it. Prices are always fixed by monopolists or oligopolists. They don't need to talk with each other and conspire to end up with a result which makes it look like a conspiracy. Their situation is called "the prisoners dilemma".

| Also, regarding the light bulb industry, the only "conspiracy" I heard of was the thing with planned obsolecence.
But in the end such things are not really conspiracies but necessities regatding the global dominanting paradigms of the global dominanting capitalist system.
The only and real conspiracys are those made by the profiteers of this system to fight any kind of resistance or even criticism on it. False Flag operations, agents provocateurs and regime changes are very common.

| Finally most conspiracy theories are made up by right-winged groups, which are tools of the capitalist class to divide the exploited labour masses and keep the status quo intact. This doesn't mean there are or were no conspiracys at all. But usually they were made by right winged reactionists and pragmatists. On the long term it's impossible to keep stuff secret. The bad thing is, that at some point no one cares anymore, especially if the conspiracy was at least temporary a success

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1561538681

This thread is permanently archived