danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Web ad giant Google to block ad-blockers in Chrome

| Google engineers have proposed changes to the open-source Chromium browser that will break content-blocking extensions, including ad blockers.

>If the overhaul goes ahead, Adblock Plus and similar plugins that rely on basic filtering will, with some tweaks, still be able to function to some degree, unlike more ambitious extensions, such as uBlock Origin, which will be harder hit.

| In a note posted Tuesday to the Chromium bug tracker, Raymond Hill, the developer behind uBlock Origin and uMatrix, said the changes contemplated by the Manifest v3 proposal will ruin his ad and content blocking extensions, and take control of content away from users.

Content blockers may be used to hide or black-hole ads, but they have broader applications.

| They're predicated on the notion that users, rather than anyone else, should be able to control how their browser presents and interacts with remote resources.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/22/google_chrome_browser_ad_content_block_change/

| I don't care. Why should one use google chrome? I don't see any advantages to other browsers. Because restrictivity, exclusive service integration and unwanted telemetry is no advantage at all.

Generally I think the functionalities of web-browsers are massively overworked. In the End I want only to view simple hypertext and not to run some shitty written code that comes on to my system like a trojan horse. I prefer beeing able to choose which software I use. This web-stuff sucks.

| The bigger problem here is how many other browsers rely on the chromium framework. Sure, you may only want hypertext, but I would prefer to actually be able to use and acess more content than just that.

| >>525241
>Sure, you may only want hypertext, but I would prefer to actually be able to use and acess more content than just that.
Then why not use software that makes use of standards that are technically better suited for more content than only hypertext.
I don't mind if a web-browser is able to show linked images, sounds or videos. But I am very annoyed and concerned about this whole "web-application platforming" bullshit, that is hard regulate to prohibit monopolization.

| Webbrowsers have basically become (bad performing) virtual maschines that execute (bad written) code which gives a fuck about universal compatibility, decentral structures, privacy and freedom. It just turns the Internet into some TV-Alike consume platform and restricts or at least inhibits a productive usage that is free to everyone. As a developer I am sick of all this new and trendy, but highly exclusive platforms I am forced to use to collaborate with others.

| This is why more people should use Firefox.

| Also, I use a wonderful desktop system that provides all applications I love and need to work with. I don't want to visit a specific http(s) website to exchange text messages, or any other data, with others. I want to choose the software I work with and I don't see why I should be forced to use what the masses believe is the best (in fact it rarely is).
Nevertheless, all of this is an entire different discussion. All I wanted to say is just, i don't care about chrome.

| >>525480
FF is a compromise to me. It has it's flaws too, and Mozilla also often does shitty decisions, but at least it respects users freedoms much more than google. You can even host your own sync server (even thought it's a bit complicated and bad documented)
But after all it doesn't solve the core issue with all that web-application stuff.
Btw. the best way to avoid ads is not to visit pages that use them ;-)
Also there are some pages I accept ads since I want to support them.

| Ye, sure, lets take away all those tools that defend us from bullshit.
Like when you click anywhere on the site and you 100% would open an ad/virus page that dont let you close it. And there sometimes two-three layers of such bullshit.
I get that people needs money... but you take away my choice to awoid it, to NOT look at it. Sometimes "X" dosnt work, sometimes you get obvious baits... im so done with all that. Im not gonna show any respect if they dont show respect to us.

| Netscape Navigator was the answer all along
And we just abandoned her

| Hot local sluts in your area BEGGING to fuck. Click to view pics!

Honestly this is really terrible for most normies like me who don't bother with /tech/ stuff and don't know a damn thing about it either. This might honestly be a reason for me to swap to Firefox

| Literally nothing reason not to switch to Firefox

| >>525780
>Ye, sure, lets take away all those tools that defend us from bullshit.
The answer is: free software. Since it's public property it can't be taken away. Google chrome is proprietary and chromium is only open source, but not free software. If you don't use free software, don't complain about being fucked and deal with it.
One could make a free chromium fork without the changes thought... But why, since there already is firefox? I don't see how chrome is technically better.

| >>525827
>Honestly this is really terrible for most normies like me who don't bother with /tech/ stuff
I don't get the interrelation between company politics and /tech/ stuff. If a company decides something it rarely has something to do with /tech/.
>This might honestly be a reason for me to swap to Firefox
You're welcome. I honestly hope companies will do more stupid decisions like this if it makes free software more popular^^

Total number of posts: 16, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1548934028

This thread is permanently archived