danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
German Business Blasts Trump's NordStream 2 Sanctions Against Russia

| A German business group said on Friday that any attempts by the United States to stop Europe from buying Russian gas in the form of additional sanctions against Moscow would be an attack on European sovereignty, reports Reuters.

"If the U.S. decided to sanction the use of Russian gas, that would be an attack on German and European sovereignty," said Wolfgang Buechele, chairman of the German Committee on East European Economic Relations (GCEEER?) at a new year news conference.

| The United States has threatened sanctions against European firms involved with the Nord Stream 2 pipeline which would carry gas straight to Germany under the Baltic Sea. The project is being spearheaded by Russian state gas giant Gazprom, and has been driving a wedge between Germany and its allies over economic harm to Ukraine, which would be deprived of lucrative gas transit fees it currently charges.

| "I believe the Nord Stream 2 project is in the pure interests of not just Germany but also of Europe," said Buechele of the pipeline, which would branch off into Europe-wide gas transmission networks.

In July, President Trump slammed Germany at a bilateral breakfast in Brussels for being a "captive of Russia because it is getting so much of its energy from Russia."

| "The former Chancellor of Germany is the head of the pipeline company that is supplying the gas," Trump continued.

"Ultimately Germany will have almost 70 percent of their country controlled by Russia with natural gas. So you tell me, is that appropriate?" Trump asked. "It should have never been allowed to happen. So Germany is totally controlled by Russia."

Nord Stream 2 has also divided Germany’s political class. Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder,

| bound by friendship to Russian President Vladimir Putin, has senior roles in the Nord Stream 2 holding company as well as at state-owned energy firms Gazprom (GAZP.MM) and Rosneft (ROSN.MM). -Reuters

As Nick Cunningham of Oilprice.com noted on Tuesday, "Support for the Nord Stream 2 pipeline in Germany is slipping, according to a report from Bloomberg.

| Some politicians in Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition are moving against the pipeline for geopolitical reasons, citing fears that the project would allow Russia a freer hand in Ukraine."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-11/trump-sanctions-over-russian-gas-nord-stream-2-would-be-attack-german-and-european

| I don't care if my gas comes from Russia or the USA. The only thing I care is it being affordable and accessible. Politically I have neither special sympathies for the political systems or governments of the RF nor the USA. Two rich assholes rule their countries with lies only opposed by other rich assholes and nazists while the left is dead. So I just want my gas. And I want it cheap!

| Implying that "European Sovereignty" is a thing.

| >>521528
Well France, once managed to leave the fucking NATO during the era of de Gaulle. Unfortunately this kind of things only work (are allowed?) in the frame of nationalism. Says much about our so called "democracy": Closed to the left, but wide open to the right.

| >>521633

What France left was the NATO Military Structure. In other words, it withdrew its contribution of French military officers and enlisted personnel to the manning of the NATO Command Structure, not NATO itself.

So, no. Not even the nationalists are going to actually go all the way. They just play tough so people think some change is going on when it isn't. Which tbh proves your point even more.

Representative democracy is closed to the left, but wide open to the right.

| >>521788
>Representative democracy is closed to the left, but wide open to the right.
I don't think that the issue is that there are representants. The issues are that
1. the public democratic institutions loose continuously power to undemocratic private institutions.
2. the representants have too low consequences for violating the ideas they got elected for. Au contraire: Often it's like they get rewarded for it.
3. Majority of people is bad informed/educated.

| Thinking of it, you could see 2. and 3. as sub-problems of 1.
>He who pays the piper, calls the tune.

Public estates means are ridiculous to the means of big companys. Plus: A lot of it is used for stupid things like arms race, observation of citizens and direct but even more indrect subventioning the biggest shots on the market.
To solve the problems we need:
1. powerful, idependend pubdem. estate
2. imperative mandates
3. better mass-education
4. break the neolib-neocon hegemony

Total number of posts: 12, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1547576812

This thread is permanently archived