danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Life and times with a fifteen year old cat

| The thread was locked, but the news on Cleo won't stop coming.
Two AM. Nothing much happened with Cleo today, but her skin patch does not look pleasant. She's been hiding in the closet, not really seeming interested in playing or watching a show with me.

| yeaaah! this thread is the shit, waited for it so long
never stop op pls

| Keep this going OP

| Midnight. Today was a long one for us, another vet appointment. Cleo's wearing a cone, and she's very vocal about how upset she is. She can't actually hold her head up properly with it on, so she can hardly walk around any of the spots she likes to without getting it caught on everything. I hate to admit it, but it is a little funny. Thank goodness she can't read this.

| 00:34. Cleo's really not getting used to this. Ignoring her cries for help is unpleasant. When she isn't yowling, she's sulking in the corner. I'm sure she understands why I'm doing this to her, but neither of us want this. Watching the latest episode of Girls' Last Tour felt hollow without her watching with me.

| That post is mine, the different ID was because of connecting from the wrong place.

|

| Pls send pussy pics

| https://imgur.com/a/dLfy1
Seven PM. I threw a sad looking picture I took earlier today and a happier picture I took a little while ago into that album there.
https://imgur.com/a/dUDAp
These two were taken a while ago, and before anyone says it, the box is just very small. She's lost another 0.2 pounds, but she didn't exactly start as a huge cat.

| She looks like a cute cat OP, I hope she gets better!

| One day I'll turn this into a manga and make it big!

| I hope it goes on long enough to make more than a couple volumes.
One thirty AM. Cleo had been avoiding contact during the day, but I woke up to her yowling sadly. Found her in a preferred hiding spot, lying down with her unwell leg struggling to keep from touching anything. I laid down next to her and pet her until she relaxed enough to let her leg rest. Kept that up for about an hour, when she finally seemed to be asleep. She's still snoozing now.

| Ten PM. Cleo's managing to slip out of the cone and play with the leg, and that's very bad. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and ask if one of the techs/nurses there can show me how to bandage her properly to prevent any further damage.

| She's asleep right now, but no amount of petting and comfort will solve this. I wanted this news about my cat to be a fun and positive story that everyone could enjoy like we were, I don't want to have to accept a stupid ending like "she gnawed a hole in her leg and some microscopic garbage murdered her." I don't have the money to afford care for a dramatic illness, but nothing less than cancer or a freak accident should be enough to beat her.

| I just want her to be okay.

| ^

| be strong op, im sure Cleo will be okay.

| Don't worry owner-san. Cleo looks like tough little pussy kitty. I'm sure she can shrug it off as if it's nothing.

| >>50197
Take your time OP while I do my job (soon ext for chromium)

| Five PM. The encouragement really helps, thank you. I'll install that extension as soon as it's out. Updating now because Cleo's napping in front of me and I'm afraid I might disturb her if I get up to do something else. Cleo is a wonderful cat.

| Last night, I couldn't sleep. Cleo wasn't with me, and by three AM, I'd watched a series of Youtube uploads on bandaging paws, finished reading a novel, and completed a playthrough of a GBA Final Fantasy remake. I thought I just wasn't going to sleep last night, but Cleo started yowling. Got up to investigate, and she was feeling lonely too. Ended up back in bed with tears rolling down my face while she was curled up in my armpit, purring loudly.

| In the morning, we decided that today should be a fun day. Shutters opened, fresh air from a window, food always available, petting whenever possible. We played for a bit, but she tired out and went to the bed to relax. I spent time digging through boxes to find a smaller, more appropriately sized cone than the one from the vet.

| Not long after I did, Cleo was yowling in a pained voice, and I found her with the big cone off, making noise between licks of the wound. Shoved the small one over her head, and she wasn't upset. It fit properly, and she couldn't hurt herself. Ended up lying down and crying again while she walked around, sitting on different parts of me and purring.
The bloody bits of fur really got me, but she seems happy, and that's nice to see.

|

| Noon. Cleo's surprisingly chipper, all things considered. The cone I was given for her must have been awful compared to the current one. It was used back when she was spayed, and I shouldn't have let it get packed away. It's a good three or four centimeters shorter, so she can do all of the essentials easily again. Being upbeat about this is easier when she doesn't seem like she's either in pain or lifeless.

| Four PM. Cleo's leg isn't looking like it's improving. The antibiotics aren't doing enough. We need help, and I'll be able to get some on Saturday. I wish there was more I could do.

| Is it possible to use ointments or has the infection become too severe?

| I'm actually putting an antibiotic/antifungal cream on her regularly, but I'm not doing a great job of it. My hands shake while I apply it, so it's uneven and I'm repeatedly tapping a wound instead of making one smooth motion. The crying we're both doing while I apply it doesn't help. Starting tomorrow I'll have a second set of hands, so we'll be able to see if I'm just not enough to take care of this on my own or if this has gone too far.
Ten AM. Help can't get here soon enough.

| Good luck to you OP, however much it's worth to your right now.

| I wish all the good to the OP and Cleo.

| Three PM. Got Cleo to the vet again thanks to an assist from a friend. They prescribed a spray-on antibiotic that's also supposed to take the itch out for her. I should be able to apply it a lot more easily, and hopefully it kills whatever's stopping this from healing. They were able to clean her properly, so that should help too.
Next vet check-in is in a week, and this should start clearing up in a few days with the spray. We need all the luck we can get.

| No worries op here take some of my energy

| Make sure to take precautions to keep Cleo from accidentally laying on her bad side.

| Seven thirty PM. Cleo naturally avoids laying on the leg, and that has made using this spray even easier than I thought it would be. No need for extra hands, just wait until she flops over and give her a spritz. It looks like the vet was right about it stinging when it goes on though, since she jumps when it makes contact. This is so much better than trying to apply the cream for both of us.

| op please don't stop

| Damn I'm super invested in this story, don't stop. Best wishes to the kitty and you.

| Seven thirty PM. Today was nice and uneventful. Cleo's leg looks like it's scabbing up properly, and that's a great sign. She's taking a nap on my lap, hanging her head and a paw off my side. She still doesn't like the spray, but she isn't jumping when it happens now. Also a good sign, since that means it isn't hitting an open wound.
I think she's dreaming about something fun. Her paws keep twitching like she's about to take off.

| Thats not a good sign op.

| Good luck, Cleo-chan!

| Which part isn't a good sign? If it's the sleep twitching, she's done that for a long time now, so it isn't out of the ordinary. Should I be mentioning this to the vet when I bring her in for the follow-up?
Three PM. Need to make a correction on the spray. Cleo's just getting more tolerant of it. Doing it when she isn't expecting it still gets a jump. Found that out this morning. We were both surprised.

| I once had a cat who managed 19 years. This tugs at my heart. Keep it up OP, pet Cleo for me please.

| Don't know if you've seen this, but I requested our resident lewd drawer to draw you and Cleo. https://m.imgur.com/tvlFnDK?r
Hope you enjoy it.

| (probably one of the most comfy threads outside of /cyb/)

| One AM. Cleo has been sleeping on my lap for the last five hours or so, and she just decided to get up and have a snack. Sitting cross-legged was not the best choice I could have made before she climbed aboard. She seems really well rested though, especially after tiring herself out batting around broken headphone wires I was dangling.
The picture's really nice, and I wish I had a picture in that specific position to go with. I've got something similar to share at least.

| https://imgur.com/a/NFNF0
This is from before we had received the first cone from the vet. Cleo curled up on my foot as soon as I'd removed my shoes, and I stood there for half an hour before she shifted off.

| Keep posting op

| Midnight. Saturday is still the follow-up appointment, and it's on our minds. Nothing out of the ordinary today, so we played with some shoelaces to distract ourselves. Cleo's curled up in a corner, looks like she's fast asleep. I could go for being fast asleep right now, and I think I will. Have a good night.

| Good night, OP. Sweet dreams~

| Hey OP, did you have Cleo since she was a kitten?

| I've known Cleo since she was a kitten, but she's never really been "mine." Ownership has been passed around a bunch for her, and she ended up just attaching herself to me at some point.
One AM. My friend volunteered to try spraying Cleo, and I didn't see a problem with that. Cleo did. There was no jumping, she wasn't startled, she knew exactly what was about to happen, and when it did, she clawed his hand. I should probably stick to doing it myself.

| Midnight. Cleo threw up, relieved herself outside the litter box, and seems to have developed a limp. Today was her check-up, and she has a fever. She isn't doing well, and she's been prescribed more medications. I am concerned.

| Any sideeffects from the medication? Or arthritis?

| take care of her op, hope she will get better

| >>57224 good luck guys

| Cleo isn't eating. She's too weak to walk properly. I've been crying off and on for the last while. When I got up to grab another box of tissues, she successfully stood up for the first time today and wobbled in a circle around me to flop over on my foot.
Even when she's dying, she's the best cat in the world.

| Ten PM. Forgot to add the time into my previous post.

| I wasn't told about side effects on the medications. I should have asked. They're just more and more antibiotics though. I'm sorry.

| jesus this is sad af

| Christ :/ this is pretty much how my dog was from his cancer (same from the other thread). Hope Cleo gets better.

| Midnight. She's still breathing. I want to fill the text box, but there isn't any other news to fill it with. I really didn't think this is how things would go. I can't apologize enough to Cleo for letting her go through this.

| Don't say that,g/u/rl, she is best cat and you are best owner.

| ^Yeah, that.
I'd say Cleo had a good run, and from what I've seen in these threads of yours, you were indeed the best owner she could ask for. But unfortunately nature has to take its course.

| Cleo was the shining light in /new/ g/u/rl, we will never forget. Ya tried your best OP and that's what matters right?

| Seven PM, stop the presses! There's actually good news to share! Cleo ate a few bites of food today and worked up the strength to walk, but not just walk. She walked all the way across the hall to use the litter box, then made it all the way back. She even tried to clean herself before flopping back over. I don't understand what's going on anymore, but that's okay. Cleo doesn't think she's dying!

| I'm terrified of the idea that this is just a good day, but I can't not be excited at the same time.
The only thing I can really attribute this to is the endless stream of antibiotics. Whatever helped her get up today though, I couldn't be more grateful for it.

| I just want you to know OP that even though i've just discovered these threads i can tell you are her best friend. And whether she dies or not, you have given her everything a cat could ask for. I don't know if this helps since i'm still learning of your situation, but no matter what happens as long as shes happy then thats what truly matters. Though i know it must hurt you more than anything, i'm so sad to hear that. But you're doing amazing and these threads are the best.

| And they are truly the best way to immortalize her.

| >>59158
Well then, one thing I can say for sure, she's definitely a fighter. :3

| >>59158 yay! I think

| Ten thirty PM. Cleo's eating something closer to a normal amount again, the leg is still healing, and things are all around much better than they've been for a while. She's still weak, but at least I've got some more time with her.
I'm sure this experience hasn't been good for her longevity, but seeing her seemingly arbitrarily decide to not die is incredible. I wish I could understand how she went from two days of barely moving to eating and trying to play again.

| Glad to hear things are looking a lot better... Still planning out that idea for a manga based on this but I can't really draw so maybe just a LN with lots of filler until I improve an am able to make a half decent oneshot in my spare time

| Good luck OP, hope everything turns out ok for you and Cleo...

| One AM. Cleo's healthy enough to try eating her leg again, so the cone's back on. I took it off when she got really sick, but it is definitely time for the cone to go back on.
Cleo's always enjoyed listening to me read aloud, bedtime stories are always appreciated by her. Now, instead of only hearing about Allan Karlsson's suitcase thievery, she gets to hear the outpouring of support from all of you. Thank you.

| Ten PM. Cleo's gone to sleep. I read another thirty pages of this book with her, and I'm really concerned about the kind of influence it might have. This centenarian got plastered and casually murdered someone. It'd be great if she could live a life as long and healthy as this guy, but I hope she wouldn't end up with this kind of attitude.

| nice

| Its the guys cat Molotov that you need to worry about

| Midnight. Today, for the first time, Cleo left the room she's been holed up in since she stopped coming up to mine. I sat down there to investigate, and Cleo ended up climbing into my lap for a couple hours. She had me leaning against a pantry for a lot longer than was comfortable, but it was worth it to hear her purr herself to sleep.
That's a hell of a name for any pet. I hope Allan doesn't toss it, but I wouldn't put it past the guy.

| Dareka Allen desu?

| One AM. Cleo's leg isn't improving any further right now, and she still can't really climb or jump on it. We ended up sitting on the floor and catching up on Houseki no Kuni tonight. It isn't really a feel-good show, I don't think, and we're disagreeing on best rock now. Phos > Dia, sorry Cleo.
Allan's the lead in The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared. He's a bit of a sociopath with how easily he takes to exploding/freezing people to death.

| I forgot is this an actual person or was this in va-11 ha-11a

| I dont have enough time to myself to document my cat sadly..

|

| >>51680
t. Jew

| One AM. Not much to report on. Just wish I could magically make the leg better faster.
Actual person with actual cat. I started the thread when I thought /new/ could use some love and I had a lot of time on my hands. I think /new/'s doing alright now and I have very little time on my hands, but I'm not planning on going anywhere.
It's the holiday season, and everyone should get to have a good time. Get your pets the good treats, let them know they're loved.

| Eleven PM. The leg is continuing to lose hair, but Cleo's still in a good mood. Tonight was a chicken dinner, and we both enjoyed it.
These updates keep getting smaller as we become more used to the situation. Without mobility, we haven't done many of the activities we normally did. There's not a lot of baking to be done when Cleo doesn't feel comfortable coming to the kitchen, and I'm not really consulting her about most of the things I normally would. It feels a little lonely.

| Ten thirty PM. Cleo's a mind reader. She managed to climb up the stairs and into my room this morning, and I found her waiting on my floor when I woke up. We sat together on the carpet for an hour before she decided that she'd like some breakfast and led the way down the stairs.
She seems like she's getting used to whatever's going on. An abscess was forming this morning, but it'd popped at some point in the day. I want to ask the vet about a biopsy for a lump on the leg next.

| Half an hour past midnight. Cleo fell asleep on me while I was reading to her. No engagement in the story at all tonight, but it was nice to see her slowly nod off. Makes her seem like a kitten instead of a well aged cat.

| Eleven PM. Cleo's making a real effort to move around the house again. It feels like she's sick of being so sedentary, but she tires herself out easily now. She's worked her way onto my desk chair for now, and I'm looking forward to her potentially returning to the bed again. I should've studied to be a vet.

| Keep strong OP.

| Nine forty-five PM. The lightbulb burned out, and Cleo's on my lap, so we're sitting in the dark for the foreseeable future. Cleo seems content, but the purring has stopped. I would really like it if I could still read my book.

| Eleven PM. Cleo's spent most of today in a dark room on the other side of the house. She's ventured out to eat about a quarter of what she'll usually have. I can't imagine she's having a great time being like this. It'd be great if I could understand what she's thinking the way she seems to read me.

|

| Poor kitten

| R. I. P

| Eleven PM, with a day skipped. Cleo's not dead, just sleeping. A big scab fell off her leg today. I don't know what else to say about that. A day was skipped because of some trouble with another family member that kept me preoccupied.
Cleo's found a new favourite sleeping spot under a desk. It's out of the way, but it gets better daylight than the old spot.

| Seven AM. Cleo and I just spent time sitting together this morning. She doesn't feel like having any physical contact right now, and she isn't up for playing, but she also didn't want to be alone. Accessibility is an important factor in making a home, and I think I should've had a bed with either a lower frame or maybe no frame at all.

| >>74823 I think if flesh is falling off of cleo and she is eating a lot less and is less active, then that isn't a good thing.

| It was really just the scab. It's still a bad thing, but I don't want it to sound like her leg is rotting.
Three forty-five, AM. Cleo started yowling, and I found her presenting her latest catch; a plastic ring. We tossed it around for a while, and it was fun listening to her purr as we played.

| >>63774
haha lmao

| Bump

| i hope everything is alright..

| Two thirty AM. Cleo's more talkative than she was yesterday, but less playful. She's still sticking to the corner she found a while ago. I'd really like to know how she decides where she'll set up camp like this.

| Still going string I see

| >>79678 How trustworthy are the vets you visit in giving you accurate information? If there was nothing better to do than letter her pass on would they tell you? Or just have you keep coming back for more $$$ ?

| The vet wants to perform tests, but I don't have the money to pay for them. Just getting a blood test done is three hundred dollars, and whether or not that picks something up, I don't have the money for treatment. At this point, all I can do is try to make her comfortable. I hope they're trustworthy.
Eleven thirty AM. Cleo fell asleep on me on the floor last night, and I fell asleep too. I woke up with her next to me. It's been a while since we slept this close together.

| Midnight. Merry Christmas, everyone. Cleo and I are eating some treats. Liver flavour for her, peppermint for me. I hope you're all having a good time.

| >>82564 merry Christmas

| Just joined in, merry Christmas all and long live Cleo

| Merry Christmas g/u/rl! Merry Christmas, Cleo! And Merry Christmas to everyone!

| Nine PM. Cleo and I spent most of the day sulking together. We sat on the floor and played, and we didn't do much else. Nothing wrong with having an unproductive day here or there.

| This is like the only good thread remaining on /news/.

And ironically, it has nothing to do with /news/.

Sleep well Cleo kitten.

Total number of posts: 111, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1514408131

This thread is permanently archived