danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
70% of women in Tokyo back single-sex train cars,NYC,30%

|
Women in Tokyo strongly favor having single-sex train cars on public transport, according to a poll of five of the world’s biggest commuter cities released Thursday, despite such policies facing growing criticism.

A Thomson Reuters Foundation survey of 1,000 female travelers in Tokyo, London, New York City, Cairo and Mexico City found less than half supported women-only sections on trains and buses to boost safety.

| But nearly 70 percent of women in Tokyo backed the single-sex carriages introduced in the city in 2000 to combat a phenomenon commonly known as chikan, or groping, on trains. More than half of women surveyed in the city said safety was their top transport concern, but seven in 10 were confident they could now travel without being subjected to sexual harassment or violence.

| Women in Cairo and Mexico City also said safety was their biggest concern about using public and private transport, and 60 percent and 55 percent respectively said women-only sections on trains and buses would improve safety.

But less than 30 percent of women were in favor of women-only carriages in New York and London, where the time and cost of travel were seen as more pressing issues than safety.

| Tokyo has been struggling to stop sexual harassment on trains, where police figures found more than two-thirds of 1,750 groping or molestation cases reported in the city in 2017 took place on trains or in stations.

Women-only carriages provide female passengers with a “peace of mind,” said a spokeswoman for the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, which runs one of the capital’s two main subway networks.

| But the policy has been criticized, including by a group of men who boarded a women-only carriage this year to protest what they called a discriminatory practice.

Some men have claimed they were falsely accused of groping, putting them at risk of losing their jobs, and sought out protection such as signing up for insurance which offers legal services in such situations.

| https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/11/15/national/nearly-70-women-tokyo-back-single-sex-train-cars-survey-finds/#.W-09WdIS-Uk

| I don't know about you, but I'm a girl and when I'm in a train and surrounded by just men I feel a bit threatened, yeah.

We have ladies train cars here, at the backmost and frontmost of the trains. Sometimes I feel bad when a guy has to walk a bit farther to catch up with the unisex trains, but I don't know if it's a big deal

| Oh and for context, I live in Jakarta. Our culture is a bit closer to Tokyo than NYC I think

| >>469436
Well, I'm a normal male human being, and when I'm in a train surrounded by bonobos I don't like it either. So I'd prefer not to be forced to be surrounded only by those

Total number of posts: 9, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1542497402

This thread is permanently archived