danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Bernie Sanders Introduces The 'Stop BEZOS Act' To Stop Amazon Subsidies

| One week after a war of words erupted between Bernie Sanders and Jeff Bezos, the vendetta between the Vermont Senator and the world's richest man escalated on Wednesday when Sanders introduced a Senate bill called the "Stop BEZOS Act", that would require large employers like Amazon and Walmart to pay back the government for food stamps, public housing, Medicaid and other federal assistance received by their workers.

| The bill's acronym is a direct dig at Bezos and stands for Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act. It seeks to establish a 100% tax on government benefits received by workers at companies with at least 500 employees, Sanders said on Wednesday according to the Washington Post.

"In other words, the taxpayers of this country would no longer be subsidizing the wealthiest people in this country who are paying their workers inadequate wages,"

| Sanders said at a press conference announcing the bill. "Despite low unemployment, we end up having tens of millions of Americans working at wages that are just so low that they can't adequately take care of their families."

The proposed bill came one day after Amazon briefly hit $1 trillion in market cap, just a month after Apple did the same, although a quick look at recent price appreciation suggests that Amazon will soon eclipse even

| Apple to become the world's most valueable company.

Bezos, who founded Amazon, is the world's wealthiest man: he has added $67 billion to his fortune in 2018, giving him a $167 billion net worth on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The median Amazon worker, meanwhile, was paid $28,446 last year, according to company filings.

The increase in Bezos' wealth has outpaced the rest of the billionaires tracked by Bloomberg by an obscene margin.

https://archive.fo/hvOxD

| There should be a minimum net worth floor so smaller businesses don't crumble if they happen to have financially unstable workers. As for bigger companies, they're choosing to treat their employees like expenses rather than assets, and honestly I feel they deserve something like this.

| HAHAHAHAHA
GET FUKKED BEZOS
Even trump hates the guy and fox promoted this bill because of that.

| Finally, bipartisan support for bettering the nation.

| There's zero chance of this getting past suggestion stage. And if it does, there will surely be a bunch of myserious suicides by two bullets to the back of the head in broad daylight.

| >>407936
It doesn't have bipartisan support in the corporate owned Congress though.

| Welp I'm a communist. But why tax a businesses with over 500 employees, when you could just tax the masses of money lying around in big capitalist cellars. Basically tax the rich, not sum corporation.

But hey it's a start in the right direction. I just imagine them finding a loophole like 'my corporation is legally a Panama corporation. Also we don't employ people full time which means we don't have to pay nothing lmao'.
It's like every law against the rich, gotta be done right.

| Being a foreign entity or only hiring part timers likely wouldn't be able to exempt a company from this. The real danger lies in companies mislabeling employees as "private contractors" or other 3rd party workforce. Luckily that is illegal and punishable, but many companies risk it amd do it anyways already.

| >>408188 It'd be exactly the same thing if you taxed people, "Technically all my money goes to a trust that I don't actually own, I just control all facets of managing it" or some such thing.

| Why do people keep using shit tier sites like zero hedge as a source?

| >>408446 but then they can't just use their money to buy politicians.
Ofc they can but then the next Panama papers will come out and you will probably follow the Icelandic Model (imprison the people who didn't pay their taxes)

| >>409524
Do you really believe Panama papers scenarios are the rule rather than the exception?

| >>409618
Considering the paradise papers that also came out showing the same thing?
Yes
Hell Peutra Rico is a fucking tax haven.
Corps will send their money anywhere to not give it to their workers

| >>410101
I don't mean that people always exploit tax havens, of course they do.

I mean that scenarios in which that information is publicized are quite rare on the scale of things. Then you do not follow the icelandic scenario, which by the way requires trust in government in the first place. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1537747532

This thread is permanently archived