danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Brazil #1 in murders-again:63,000, Highest in femicide also

| Murder rates in Brazil rose by 3.7% to a record 63,880 killings last year, according to a new study released in the run-up to a presidential election dominated by the issue of violence.

So what is behind the nation’s steadily increasing homicide rates?

The director of the independent Brazilian Forum of Public Security (BFPS), which gathered the new data, said the problem had “been exacerbated by antiquated laws and police procedures and the growth in organised crime”.

| “The numbers show we have a serious problem with lethal violence,” continued Renato Sergio de Lima. “We have two persistent phenomena: violence against women and criminal gangs dealing in drugs and arms.”

Serious crime has flourished in the absence of capable policing, with few murderers ending up in jail and authorities focusing on repressing criminals rather than on preventing and tackling the root causes of crime, The Guardian reports.

| With little government action to give deprived youth hope for the future, “a culture of ultra-violence has set in”, says news site Americas Quarterly. Torture and decapitation of members of rival gangs is commonplace and, indeed, often celebrated in music and on social media.

But deadly force comes from both sides of the criminal justice system. The new BFPS report says that an average of 14 people die at the hands of police officers every day, according to The Guardian.

| Meanwhile, violence against women has skyrocketed in recent years, with almost a third of women claiming to have suffered such abuse, The New York Times reports.

Brazil has the “seventh-highest rate of femicide in the world, with 4.4 murders per 100,000 women, according to a 2012 Brazilian survey called the Map of Violence”, the newspaper says.

| And only around a quarter of women who suffer violence report it to the police.

“There are many reasons - stigma, economic dependence or concern for children,” explains Maria Laura Canineu, the Brazil director of Human Rights Watch. “But often, it’s the conviction that the state won’t do anything.”

The police force’s lack of resources and training often means that perpetrators do not face any repercussions, Canineu adds.

| Crime is expected to be a key voter concern in Brazil’s upcoming presidential election, in October.

The candidates include far-right lawmaker Jair Bolsonaro and jailed former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who wants to “loosen gun laws and toughen up policing to tackle the rise in violence”, according to Reuters. Bolsonaro has a similar stance on policing, and has said that he would give officers “carte blanche” to kill suspects who fire on them.

| http://www.theweek.co.uk/95749/a-most-violent-year-brazil-murder-toll-hits-63000

| sad af

| That's a lotta murder

| So proud of my sorry excuse for a country, the word feminicide is bullshit thou, and I never thought I would see it in english, sound a little less pathetic in english. And true as fuck we know for sure that the state will not do a damn thing, and this policy of thougher policy and remaking gun laws to release access to our population is one of the many reasons that he will probably win this election.

| And by he, I mean Bolsonaro. Folks call him the "Myth" around here, I'm not a fan of him, but well, his popular support is huge.

| why is Brasil like that

| >>386118 I can explain but would take a while and tons of texts.

| >>386135 I guess people are poor and education system is bad?

| >>386146 Yeah but that alone is not enough, I'm poor, I had shit education and yet never did a crime in my life, there is social, historical and mostly cultural issues.

| I am a brazilian woman too.
It sucks, g/u/rls.

| >>386174 Sempre tem. Where r u from?

| >>386147 I doubt crime could be cultural, that's just strange.

| >>386260 But it is, we have a culture that boats crime, with music styles a fucked up history and some "cultural pride" of being "smart" as in, pulling others behind if that means getting profit from it, like scam and so on. Kids here are taught to think that all cops are crooked and the drug dealer, is the all mighty all powerfull guy, who gives orders have all the pussy he wants and so on, that crimes bring some sort of glory.

| With some "human rights" that pat thugs in the head saying that they are victims from society and the didn't knew what they were doing.

| >>386118 Because the entire country is plaing Cops and Robbers
If he isn't a robber, then he's a off-duty police.

| *playing

| aa expected of brazil i guess

| as expected

| Is it too late to save? Or can Brazil still make a comeback?

| >>387120 As a Brazillian I say, the day Brazil gets better, there will be peace at the middle east.

| >>386226 SP

| Oh, the womyn are getting harmed. Guess this is now going to get attention from around the world.

| >>387223 Me 2 I Work at paulista

| >thread about Brazillian murder rate
>focus on their decision to use the word 'femicide' as if it's worse than the murders
O ok danger/u/

| >>387223 I study at Mooca

| >>387510 muh feminist agenda

| >>387223 My name is Beatriz. What's your name?

| Can i stay here a while? The uber driver thread is a shitshow

| >>387776 Of course amigo, eat an açaí while you are here.

| >>387784
the fuck is that

| >>387808 A native brazillian indian fruit, here in the south it is usually sold cold like ice cream with some granola or cereal, condensed milk or othet sweet stuff like mm's sweet and tasty as fuck.

| >>387883
deskribe the taste

| >>387776

Sure.

| How many of the brazilians on this thread are actual girls?

| >>387972 well I'm not a girl.

| >>388000
There are no boys on the internet.

| >>388029 bitch do you even know what forum this is

| >>388048 -_-

| Brazil became a total shithole in the last 10 years, and we can only expect it to get worse.

| "Worse than it is, it won't get."

~Tiririca, intellectual and philosopher

| >>388332 He lied to us, he promised to tell us what a congressman does.

| >>388339 He did said: they work a lot and produce little.

| >>388564
>work a lot
That's the lie

| >>388564 >>389838 Indeed bullshit, they barely do anything.

| >>389838 >>389842 they do work, it's just not the kind of work we want them to do

Total number of posts: 51, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1534623326

This thread is permanently archived