danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Is ai art causing dead Internet theory?

| I've been hearing this a lot and with poisoned search engines along with how ai has become a misinformation superspreader it does make me uneasy with where this tech is going.

| It might slowly lead to it. Before, it was just a theory, then AI that can talk and make convincing messages/posts came out, now art and soon even video are going the same direction. There might eventually be entire sections of sites with only AI posts and posters.

| internet is already dead for years lmao.

| i'm hearing dorothy's existential crisis all over again

| Some of my artist friends once mentioned that AI art's made looking up reference images rather troublesome, what with subpar AI generated stuff saturating search results or something.

| >>1007017 something relatively unimportant that is getting absolutely destroyed by AI is finding references for building in Minecraft. it used to be that you could look up references and then find the address of a building or location you like, then look at it in google maps street view and get multiple angles and areas. now only about half of the buildings you see on google images are real, so you can't look them up.

| >>1007017 It's gotten to the point where are people are trying to sell AI art books, with nonsensical process/advice using gpt.
I think people underestimate the value having a persona has to getting views to your art.
An example would be pewdipie. He is a talented artist. But most of the buzz he's been getting recently is because it's pewdipie making art, not really because he is talented.

| Like I think you have an easier time as an artist if people know from things other than your art than it is if you were doing art from the ground up. You're going to have more to say about art made by your cousin that you are from similar art made by a stranger

| text based "generative" AI works by crawling the net and adding huge amounts of junk data to it's training sets. giving access to such a tool to the public resulted in a relatively small amount of people generating massive amounts of junk data to try to profit off of it. that data can then get added to training sets, lowering the quality of the model. if the number of people using AI to generate such data increases and if AI developers don't perform proper maintenance +

| (maintenance which gets harder the more junk is generated) these models will end up having a higher rate of hallucination (basically, complete nonsense presented as objective fact), which with time might make them nigh incoherent. add to that the content and engagement farms that fuel the current economic model of AI tools (and social media in general at this point) and you've got a recipe for a sharp decline in the usability of any platform that allows or integrates generative AI

| AI image generation is similar if the topic is "real" data (pictures of animals or real buildings as brought up earlier in the thread) as its widespread use essentially "poisons" things like indexers and search engines with images that might look realistic to the average onlooker but would be very obviously incorrect to a professional. And on the topic of art itself it may be a more subjective discussion on what art really is or means, which is a whole can of worms by itself +

| but id wager a lot of people (myself included) are of the mind that art necessitates intent, human emotion, etc, something a machine can't really reproduce no matter how detailed the prompt you give it is. any piece of art can be junk data to the vast majority of people but have an emotional value to whoever created it and the community the artist is a part of. generative AI can't really "create" anything, +

| it just spits out images based on the relationship of what you write in the prompt tied to what it has in it's dataset, which is often assembled by crawling through pre existing art without the consent of the artists that made it.

| sorry for the rant (⁠;⁠ŏ⁠﹏⁠ŏ⁠)

| I used to use ChatGPT regularly to help with "blank page syndrome" then make my own paper out of it... but now it can't even handle basic prompts, just spits out the same recycled answers regardless of prompt. This is annoying not just because it's no longer a productivity tool, but if AI is no longer perceived as a "problem", then legislation surrounding AI will be delayed/stalled/nonexistent.

| Its called Model Collapse, and it was bound to happen. There was a chance for it not to, but scam artists and lazy assholes looking to make a quick buck, have flooded the market with AI generated bullshit. Buzzfeed articles right now are AI written but are scraping other AI written articles and making nonsense. AI is one Hapsburg Chin away from collapsing and as much as I think the StableDiff is cool, it should die.

| I've been curious but how do those character.ai bots work? Considering people have done lewd and kink rpa with those things I just have to wonder what kind of text they've had to scrap.

| >>1007327 *rps

| AI image pollution is already so fking bad. When I want to see a picture of a cute monkey it's all fking AI. I have to translate "Cute Monkey" into foreign languages and google in that to find better results.

And yeah.. On the right sides of Instagram you find bot pages following each other, posting AI images with AI prompts, garnering AI written comments. I wonder how much internet traffic is just these bots trying to seduce and scam each other in DMs....

Total number of posts: 19, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1709864943

This thread is permanently archived