danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Cyborg insects could one day be used in a breath test to screen for disease

| —or inspire a new type of device.

A research team surgically exposed the brain of a living locust and inserted electrodes into lobes of the brain that receive signals from the insects’ antennae, which they use to sense odors.

The team also grew three different types of human oral cancer cells, as well as human mouth cells that were cancer-free and delivered each of these to the locusts’ antennae.

| The locusts’ brains responded to each of the cell types differently. The patterns of electrical activity recorded were so distinct that when the team puffed the gas from one cell type onto the antennae, they could correctly identify whether the cells were cancerous from the recording alone.

| Dr.Sara says that locusts do not feel pain, so they don’t need anesthesia. But some research suggests that insects can sense and avoid things we might consider “painful” and might develop lasting sensitivity after an injury, similar to chronic pain. “The insect is dead in terms of its body function,” says Sara. “We are just keeping its brain alive.”

| They took brain recordings from multiple locusts and combined their responses. It currently takes recordings from 40 neurons to get a clear signal, which means the system requires between six and 10 locust brains.

| https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/06/21/1054532/cyborg-locust-brain-hacked-sniff-out-cancer/

| If these guys can distinguish cancerous cells by odour, do we stuff these guys up our ass so they can smell whether we have prostate cancer or not?

| >>875656
Maybe just a fart would be enough? I hope so, I don't want to have a bunch of cyborg insects in my virgin ass.

Total number of posts: 8, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1656284323

This thread is permanently archived