danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
is there any great cyberpunk books?

| uh guys
I'm a cyberpunk lover without computer,so I want to find cyberpunk books instead of games.
are there some suggestions?

| I really enjoyed Neil Stephenson's "Snow Crash." It's an old enough book, so shouldn't be too hard to find, and the author interweaves topics regarding linguistics and the Sumerian pantheon of Gods into the traditional cyberpunk plot. Although the characters sometimes come off as too precocious or skilled at times, and I can remember some chapters wherein the events were too action-packed and bombastic for my tastes haha. But it was great overall! Lots of good humor in it, too.

| Might as well get Neuromancer by William Gibson out of the way, along with the rest of his books like Count Zero and whatnot. Great author. Was one of the ones who founded the genre. I guess we've also better get 1984 by George Orwell out of the way. Not really cyberpunk, but has a similar message, and always pops up in these book recommendation threads. Snow Crash is also a good one.

| If you're just getting into cyberpunk, Neuromancer and Snow Crash are must reads. If you're going out to pick those ones up, you should also look for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. If you're into manga, Akira and Ghost in the Shell are classics. If you're looking for a personal recommendation, I liked Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. Hope you find what you're looking for amongst these titles! Good luck!

| >>539247
A lot of people say that Neuromancer was Gibson's best and he got worse over time, so I'm reading his books backwards so it will look like it actually gets better Smart, isn't it? I've read the whole Bigend trilogy and 2/3 of the Bridge trilogy and I've pretty much enjoyed them, but the Bigend trilogy sometimes sounds a bit cringy and dated, like when he talks about twitter like some next-level sci-fi shit.

| >>540051
And I'm actually saving the peripheral for the ending. It looks like Gibson's final boss. I read like 50 pgs I almost didn't get a single thing lol

| >>540051 this g/u/rl is on another level. o.o

| Edge of tomorrow.
It is kinda cyberpunk but not much

| The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi (and his other works). It isn't really cyberpunk with the high tech-low life dynamic per se, but it's a really clever outlook of future technology and society.

| >>540080

Also known as "All You Need is Kill," in the original Japanese novel & manga that the movie is based on.

| Jesus christ op, Cyberpunk is first and foremost a literary genre, of course there are Cyberpunk books, just Google it and you'll find hundreds of them.

| >>540051
The last time I visited his twitter it was mostly political stuff.

| >>540501
It's Gibson and it's Twitter. What... what else are you expectinf?

| >>540501
gibson said that cyberpunk 2077 wasn't cyberpunk enough, and then some shitty game news site said that retweeting paul krugman on twitter isn't very cyberpunk either, but idk. if they were semi-literate enough they would know who paul krugman is and that retweeting him is cyberpunk af.

Total number of posts: 14, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1553175350

This thread is permanently archived