danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Cyberpunk story ideas

| I could use ideas for tech events and all kinds of other stuff for my RP.

Personally my TTRPG story deals on a terraformed Mars which had lost contact with Earth (presumed to have gone to hell by those who fled the home world) but any ideas are cool.

A place I feel that's neglected in cyberpunk is rural living. I feel like the way people farm would be an interesting topic.

Again. I'm interesting in hearing any ideas here, but I use my RP story idea as food for thought.

| In /cyb/, there was a "rural farm" but instead of cattle or actual fields, the barn had been turned into a hydroponics plant.

IRL smol farmers are increasingly losing their livelihoods to big megafarms that can out price them, but some people are managing to survive, mostly by turning to implements that are low cost and can't be easily replicated by Walmart.

| In the grim darkness of Blade Runner 2049, farming still existed... but they were growing, uh, "protein" in the form of these big hand sized bugs that looked like maggots.

| Or maybe larvae.

| Classic cyberpunk, but everyone's turned into a gnome, except for the few who turned into goblins. So there's not just corporations, drug dealing and the usual shit, but there's also a racism thing going on between gnomes and goblins. Then one day one of the biggest corporations in the world (controlled by gnomes since they're the majority) nukes almost all the goblins, but the radiation either kills or turns most gnomes into goblins. You do the rest. Fuck. I'm tired. Good night.

| Portable farming in the cities. Kimbal Musk is trying to make it a reality.
With this, fields will no longer be needed. Meat can just be synthesized in special meat labs.

| Rural living will most likely be a thing of the past. People will congregate around megatropolises and eke their living there. Portable farms will drive around supplying needed sustenance around the city. The outside will either be polluted to the point of being irreversible, be reclaimed by the wild, or become a place where the retired, the rich, the gemaphobes, and the wanted live.

| >>522032 Okay this is really interesting to see rural living be a safe haven for outlaws more then anything. But I feel like the portable farming in the cities seems too utopian for cyberpunk.

I think for suburbs (which would be slums in cyberpunk) I could take a page from where I live (eastern Europe) and just have people raising their own chickens and livestock in their own yards. Probably cause the urban farms are jacking up it's prices to make money off the urban middle class.

| But yeah good on you for reminding me of pollution and climate change, those things would mess up the living of the farms. I know a friend of mine who's tap water is toxic and the factory nearby will poison the well water. That'd be the real fate of rural lives. Pushed out by polluting factories.

Still. Now I'm still curious about drawbacks from the portable farming ideas. Maybe I should look into Kimbal Musk for that?

Oh forgot to say this is >>39caa0. ID changed

| It's only utopian if you imagine it to be. Where the rich could have a hydroponics plant in the middle of the city, the lower classes will have to rely on self-made ramshackle farms. And unlike the hydroponics plant, temperature regulation would be much difficult, requiring more energy to sustain. Because it's so difficult to maintain a farm, most people would have to rely on the inner city produce, which gets more and more expensive with time.

| These pirtable farms may not even be very portable, sincemuch of the solar energy would go into lighting, hydration and temp control.

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1547712101

This thread is permanently archived