danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
A more modern and realistic idea of cyberpunk

| So I'm almost certain that at least some of you have seen this video: https://youtu.be/YK6IjJkjkiI
And it raises an interesting points. That being that the vision we have of cyberpunk is about 40 years old and we haven't really changed it in that time.

So what would a cyberpunk world actually look like? how would advertisements fit into the everyday life of people? Would they still be the skyscraper tall TVs or something more invasive. What about the police? Anything really.

| How would it be different but still seem visually interesting, like the blade runner world's were used to?

| Pretty much just the world today.

| This comment is gold:

Randall Stephens
1 month ago
> commentary about the pervasiveness of ads in cyberpunk
> allusion to the cyberpunk dystopia being right around the corner
> ad

| This comment is also pretty good:

>This video made me think about Mirror’s Edge (and Catalyst as well, I’m more familiar with it). It has loads of the hallmarks of early cyberpunk, but instead of this dark world with blues and blacks with advertisements in bright colours wrapping the buildings that blend into one another, everything is white. Its always daytime, the weather is always good, every building is white or a bring orange or yellow.

| >And yet, it trains you to see this as just as dark and oppressive as the darker cities, and it feels just as alienating and unnerving and oppressive. Love those games.

| Dragon Skunk
1 month ago
Idiocracy gets it right too brought to you by Skillshare.
Where humanity is reduced to mindless consumers brought to you by Skillshare.
It's not cyberpunk but is a movie that brings all the ugliness of cyberpunk brought to you by Skillshare.
Ironically, you talk about bombardment of advertising on the internet brought to you by Skillshare.

--

Rofl people are just putting this guy through the wringer.

| >>515314
I feel that 10 year old speech of Sterling describes more accurately the current cyberpunk trend (namely: favela-chic)
https://www.wired.com/2011/02/transcript-of-reboot-11-speech-by-bruce-sterling-25-6-2009/
See also this thread on 8chan: https://8ch.net/cyber/res/52373.html

| I think that the thing cyberpunk is currently lacking in is corporate image. When you see the evil megacorp trait, it's portrayed as dark, neon, and evil, but no modern company allows itself to have that sort of public image. Instead, there's friendly UX, material design, and personified AIs. Even if they own your home and you, they aren't seen as oppressive, but friendly and helpful. That whole portrayal of companies is entirely absent from cyberpunk as a visual aesthetic.

| >>515634
Sorry to bother you did that friendly corp image well (although it is not technically cyberpunk, it does portray wage slavery and its trappings well).

| >>515634

The Deus Ex series does a pretty good job of depicting the "whitewashed" exterior of corporations, I feel. At least, for the healthcare companies like Sarif Industries.

| If you mean aesthetically, it'll be subtler things. Targeted billboards that give you custom ads. AR signs that pop up in your HUD like in Altered Carbon.

| To be honest, I think we're actually living a dystopia right now.
The mainstream plataforms are censoring stuff, we (as in most of the world that lives in """""democracies""""") are on a civil war because of dumb politics and most of it is left/right discussions, look at how companies are trying to keep a good image but they're mining your info and... well, using that info to make money, because they know that today, feelings>facts. Which is kinda sad...

(1/3)

| Anyway, some people out there are calling the """""democracies""""" of today, Orwellian. Assuming you all know what that word means and what it implies, I think that it works a big role that a Cyberpunk society is orwellian by default, since not only we're having corporations telling us what to do, the government has been struggling to maintain it's influence by teaming up with these corporations, and adopting their policies.

(2/3)

| What I want to say is that, the Cyberpunk is already here, but as the anon there said, it's not dark and creepy, it's everything white, bland and "good". You need to be someone else and not you, since that would break the norm... which is a totalitarian society, but since we have technology inserted on our daily lives, it's right on our sides, a cyberpunk dystopia.

(3/3)

Total number of posts: 15, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1545277557

This thread is permanently archived