danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Brain-computer interfaces

| Would you ever trust them enough to plug in? What it was one on a wireless network?

I would be wary of wired, and I wouldn't ever want to be on open network, no matter how perfect they could encrypt.

| I don't care all that much. I just want some cyberpunk in my life...

| I fear that; I have way more potential than I think I have. I often fear this.

| i 100% would do it

| Look up the EMOTIVE Epoch on Amazon.

| I wouldn't want to be the first one to go under the knife but absolutely once we know it's safe. Brain surgery sounds pretty scary though

| >>443647 At least that's non-invasive. I'd be okay with read-only interfaces being mainstream

| >>letting anything hackable inside your body, let alone connect to your brain

| If it's 100% open source then maybe.

| >>429908 you're already living in it m8

| >>452952
you do realize 100% open source is riskier because... open source, right?

| >>453515 What a compelling and well-written argument. I'm sure you know exactly what you're talking about.

| >>177b03 *laughs in GNU/Linux*
Literally the opposite, you have the entire world reporting or fixing any backdoors. That's what makes Linux so good, what you think people using Gentoo or Tails are gonna used some closed source bullshit like OSX or Windows? Top fucking kek kiddo.

| both of you only consider people fixing problems and not people abusing them

| This scares me...
The fear that I wouldn't be able to think straight, that the implant could change my decisions yet still make me feel like they were my own decisions, scares me to hell

| >>177b03 I make my living as a security technician, you bozo. Identifying security holes and mastering them is what puts bread on my table.

>>454035
Which is why you want total control. If you understand how the device operate and have full access to its hardware and code then it's all up to you.

| People are already unable to:
- Secure their electronic stuff
- Use their brain well enough to avoid manipulation

And you want to do something that would make those points worse. Well go on, I'll pass. I'll just grab some popcorn.

| Just imagine those old folks who manage to get into the 47th page of Google results for the recipe of some random pie and click on autogenerated links with a shitload of pop ups.

Wigh brain-computer interfaces you would need to perform an AV scan on your grandma in place of her computer!

This kind of inventions would be really limited or even illegal, unless society as a whole is educated in technologies, which tbh won't ever happen.

| >>458270
Just pass me some of that popcorn and I'll be fine

| I feel like neural links to the internet are racing against biochemical advances in genetics to achieve what ur talking about. Imo tech neural links seem slightly ahead in this race tho, but if genetic advances let u read minds and do psychic hacking neither is safe and encrypting really is just a hurdle that can be jumped if need be with skill in either field.

Privacy is a "luxury" for primitive societies.

| >>460784
Yeah, mindless genetic engineering is bad too, as most mindless actions. What's your point?
Moreover, nothing tends to support the idea that "psychic powers" are possible, while connection to the internet isn't really a matter of SF.

And privacy is also a need for a civilised society.

| Maybe if we go through a different medium towards the brain, using the already existing connection muscles have with the brain, it would be easier.

Total number of posts: 22, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1542193595

This thread is permanently archived