danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
This planet is doomed

| What are the problems we have to solve in order to successfully arrive to another habitable planet?

What kind of scientists do we need to solve them?

And who should we send to space?

| Terraforming other planets is and always has been straight fantasy. Humans are an animal that is only able to survive on Earth, and the only reason we're able to do space shit at all is because we've figured out how to take little pieces of the world (air, food, heating/insulation) with us.

When the planet dies, we die with it. It's as simple as that.

| >>402264
>and the only reason we're able to do space shit at all is because we've figured out how to take little pieces of the world
Nicely put

| >>402264 Mars has some of the componentsand material for life Earth has. It could work, although with difficulty, both in development and habitation.

>>402260 tbh Elon needs to just shut the fuck up and begin sucking up instead of 'being honest'. No one cares about world-saving besides him, and if this keeps up Bezos will overtake him. That's the problem we need to address.

| >>402475 Sure Mister Rocketscientist. Mars can't be terraformed and it's not exactly news as to why.

| >>402598 Mars can't be terraformed *with our current technology*. Maybe read a bit more from official organizations instead of the Verge Science.

| >>402475
Does mars even have an atmosphere? I mean, I think they discovered water on mars at some point (iirc), but of we can't terraform Earth, which is only polluted and otherwise capable of supporting life, I don't think we can terraform a lifelust dustball like Mars.

| >>402619 Nope, Mars can't be terraformed _at all_. Mars can't hold on to an atmhosphere strong enough to contain enough gases(such as oxygen) needed for life. This has been proven ages ago and the only people who still talk about terraforming our red neighbour are wannabe scientists such as you. Any person educated in the field has been well aware of this for decades.

Regarding our current abilities we don't have the tech, capital nor the knowledge to terraform any known planet.

| >>402730 that's why living in underground in Mars is the best choice

| >>402730 There are many challenges with terraforming Mars which would arguably make some other far away planet a better choice. But your making a "No true scientist" kind of argument here, cause those "wannabies" have some interesting theories. There is a actual fleshed out wikipedia articale on the "Terraforming of Mars" ffs! These aren't full on step by step plans but they do hold water. Check out some of those sources before calling and tell me they aren't even partly educated

| To clarify that yes I know Wikipedia isn't a definitive source but the fact the article even exists shows there are baby steps being taken. Anyone interested in that theory shouldn't be branded a wannabe

I frankly was shocked how comprehensive this article was: Magnetic shield on L1 orbit, Use of fluorine compounds. I expected the "in popular" culture list to be longer then the theories

TL;DR Don't be a dick,as kids thinking up crazy theories is why we all wanted to be scientists

| Can't we just treat the environment well instead of planning these these contrived ways of terraforming mars?

| >>403326 I think it's useless, the masses will never help us to achieve a sustainable way of living, and many companies wouldn't let us either.

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1536605472

This thread is permanently archived