danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Doesn't cyberpunk cities like Glitch City and Rengkok feel slightly dystopian?

| Discuss.

| that's the whole point of cyberpunk of course they feel dystopian

| Whats dystopian

| >>291083 reverse utopia

| >>291083 Dystopia being the opposite of this "dream world" where everything is perfect, a dystopia throws everything on its head and goes the opposite way.

| There are dystopian themes, though cyberpunk rarely goes full dystopia. The only one I can think of rn is Ergo Proxy and (debatable) Blame!.
Also, Glitch City is actually described as "post-dystopia", so I guess they have already been through harsher times.

| Glitch city always feels like a place that's trying to recover, imo. I mean, its pretty comparable to many places in our world, and I wouldn't call any of those dystopian. Maybe recovering from a crisis or being technologically developped but not socio-economically. Mostly talking out of my ass though .

| >>435423 yeah, exactly. Also, Glitch City is like a testing grounds for new technology, so it's interesting to conjecture if it was always like this or if something led to the creation of this technological haven.

| You mean Gitch City -- "the place that shouldn't exist" or Glitch City -- "the guinea pig of the world"?

| I mean the place where you can drink Gut Punch and talk with a sexy bartender.

| Dystopian? I'd say idiotic and only a fantasy. Hogwarts has more logic in it in comparison.

| >>295401 if I wanted logic I would be reading a science textbook and not playing around with cyberpunk games lol

| >>295442 As to this, all literature is fiction. But this does not mean it is ok to throw in all sorts of fantasies without a base in it. Usually there exist only very few core imaginary elements and the world and reality are results of combining these in a 'logical'. A magician's hat that can produce everything when convenient gets tiresome and boring really fast.

The best authors always impose harsh penalties and firm limits along with the fantastic elements in the work, to provide difficulties that need to be overcome or to stop from abusing/overdoing the fantastic elements. You see it everywhere in the works of I.Asimov, D.Brin, P.K Dick, K.Vonnegut, F.Herbert, A.Clarke.
It is the core difference between Umberto Eco and Dan Brown. The former a grandmaster, the later a joke, even though the themes they deal with are similar.

Total number of posts: 14, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1527249171

This thread is permanently archived