danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Technology feels like it's speeding up?

| How significant was the change from 1700 to 1750? Then 1800 to 1850, compare that to like 1950 to 2000. The amount of change during the last 50 years is insane. It makes me wonder what life may be like in 2050.

| I hope we're able to reverse aging soon, so I can truly be alone forever

| Speeding fast? g/u/RL they are a fucking turtles now days must be driving with hovering cars or better
Much better but No we still doing little skips

| Between 1950 and 2000's it was intense and fast indeed, but from 2010 it's slowed down and continues slowering down. Between 2010-2018 happend MUCH LESS innovations than 2000-2010. That's sad...

| >>278139 True.
All the appearing fast technology is only one single improvement: Getting the transistor to be smaller and use less power, having more of them together within the same space.
That techological curve is long past its prime of acceleration. A processor of 2005 was outright futuristic compared to those of 2000. Yet today a processor of 5 y. ago is very common. We are almost at the finish line for transistor miniaturisation, with p-n layers a few atoms thin already.

| I think it'll pick up. While it might not feel like the new shit we do is significant, we are still making progress, and the progress we are doing, will be very helpful when it comes to making even more shit.

| slowing down since 2010 is something i can confirm from my perspective.
people started realizing capitalism doesn't reward breakthru enough that you'd prefer to do breakthru research instead of just recombining and improving existing tech.

| >>280006 I second this. It is all now about reusing anything there already is, wrap in a different colourful package and boast it as something new, hoping someone will buy it and make some money out of the confusion. There have not been true advances since 2010 indeed, just crappy rinse and repeat.

| >>278139
That time period is also coincidentally roughly when the cold war was going on. Large scale wars and the threat of one drives technology and innovation in an attempt to out-do the other.
We have been in a state of relative peace since the Soviets fell in 1991 with no major threat to the West, hence no rush to develop the next big thing.

| >>280623 and then all the internet is like "c'mon, syria do something")))

| >>280691
>Syria
Small conflicts and proxy wars like that never advance technology because the people at home don't feel it. It's a waste of resources and time.
WWII saw a huge growth in technology on almost all sides, and likewise with the decades of cold war.

| Wars seem to advance technology, but not really. It is that in wars there are HUGE profits being made - weapon industry and business is one of the most profitable there are. Research has nothing to do with war, actually the people who do research are scientists, engineers and inventors who have always had a dislike for war. It is that during wartime their research is then taken from the warmongers, who would appear to fund greatly the research but actually are just calculating ROI.

| moore's law

| I think energy will be the next sector that will have a large breakthrough. Right now we are thinking of energy as a resource that will either run out with in 100 years or polute the Earth so bad that it's unusable anymore.

| >>283486 no one cares about energy now, so not sure if it will change one day

| Energy is the most important thing of all, has always been like that and always be like that.

| I predict steam engines making a comeback by 2020
Improved by our current technology, with pressures over 1000 psi, they will generate enough current to provide for everyone.
With a closed water cycle and heat maintaining system, it could re-use it's own energy for heating itself.

| >>285383 I'll kick your ass if we have a steampunk future instead of the cyberpunk one that I long for

| >>285383 our generators today work on steam, we just stopped using coal as combustible, it's replaced by uranium and oil. Btw you just described the function of today's reactors. So no it won't be steampunk

| >>285611
I'm not taking about steampunk, duck steampunk.
I'm taking about an affordable clean and safe energy anyone could be producing right now, the only steam turbines sold in the market are industrial ones.
Oil is a limited resource, uranium is (for now) too dangerous/expensive for the average Joe.
Of course I expect nuclear mini batteries to be mainstream in a few decades, but I see steam as a great choice when it comes to short therm energy solution when we run out of oil.

| As of right now, computers aren't advancing much further. There's been a lot of development in other technological sectors though. Space, automation, prosthetics, 3D printing, energy, decentralized currencies, medical breakthroughs, etc.

| Maybe the way I said it is was too positive. I stress that most are only in the early stages of development, and are only in use in a confined area. If progress were to be unobstructed however, the speed of which tech would evolve in the next one or two decades would rival the Industrial Age.

Total number of posts: 22, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1526623054

This thread is permanently archived