danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Do you think the future will turn out cyberpunk...

| Companies are getting richer and richer every moment. Technology is becoming more integrated into our lifestyle. Physicists are talking about things like A.I., VR, and even about achieving immortality in a couple different ways.

Do you think we are heading towards a cyberpunk future, or something else?

| unless someone fucks up and a global war breaks up, pretty much yes.

| yeah but in a really subtle way. think about all the outrageous shit that companies did this year - facebook, cambridge, the FCC - the rage for those all died out within a week or two. companies/politicians will do some seedy shit, people will protest, then forget about it a year down the line, rinse and repeat. nothing will really change except the tech

| ^^

| ^^
Something like that. It wouldn't be a sudden transition. You wouldn't really realize it before it's done, and when the world finally is cyberpunk, there's not a lot you can do about it. At least not in a normal life span.

| We might see a change in our interactions with the environment. Augmented reality is going to be a big thing. Eventually it'll overlay our vision pretty seamlessly. We'll receive advertisments through this lense, and be able to pull information on our surroundings. How much does an object way, manufacturing info, branding, price matching in free float. It might even be a new source of propaganda, as it'll become a primary source of public media. Some form of neural interface.

| Nah, more like heading into a boring dystopia. It will be at least a century for a truly "cyberpunk-ish" society to arise. Sadly we won't be here to testify so.

| If you ask me, the only difference between cyberpunk and reality is the visual appearance and layout of things. Imagine the folks in deep third world countries in the same city along with the world's billionaires. Phones and private jets and supercomputers and AI assistants on one side, starvation and illness and lack of education and lack of power to rise up on the other. Now if you just somehow got rid of the sun and put neon everywhere, bam, cyberpunk.

| >>279416 basically, if you take the archetypal "cyberpunk city" and expand the "city" to our entire planet Earth, almost everything is there. Even the more far out Staples like human genetic engineering are getting there. Realize that the wealthiest people probably live two to three or even four times longer than the poorest people. It's not quite immortality, but I think it's damn close. You just need to change your reference point.

| Certainly true, the themes of cyberpunk are already here. Its just the tech end that isn't and the dehumanization that comes with it.

| We already live in a cyberpunk world, we just don't have cyborgs and AIs, but we are already there.

| >>279721 cyberpunk without that extreme high tech of fantasy AI and the cyborg/augs that are thrown in like cocoroaches around, doing all sort of things that can put a high wizzard to shame, is not cyberpunk. It is just a normal society with realistic current tech, which breaks more often than not and is a pain in the arse to deal with.

| >>279597
idk about that, VR/AR are a thing now and even though they aren't as prevalent as they would be in typical cyberpunk, the foundations are there. I don't think we're too far off from stuff like Lain, honestly

| >>280139
"current tech"
I mean
cyberpunk tech will eventually be current tho
do cyberpunk things stop being cyberpunk when the tech catches up?

| I think our future is biopunk, more like in "Windup Girl".

| >>280474 I think that is definitely the path of the far future. But I feel we will go through a cyberpunk phase first.

| >>280399 Can you show me where is this VR/AR you speak of? I have not encountered it anywhere yet.

| >>280624 we are already in cyberpunk phase. Have you ever been in poor SEA or African country, outside tourist ghettos people literally living in clay or bamboo hut, but spending all their days constantly refreshing Facebook on their cheep Chinese phones. Big bootnet corporations have an idea how to drag new souls into their nets. That's why they provide free mobile access to their services in the 3rd world. High tech Low life

| Next step is biopunk. We already have Chinese eugenics programs and Korean companies planning to resurrect wooly mammoth. Plus, all these cyberpunk staff like brain-machine interface simply impossible with out radical gene manipulations.

| Ohhh……

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1526224179

This thread is permanently archived