danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Who's the real "you"?

| Lately i was questioning myself about the life in the virtual world. I've observed that when i'm in it i'm not really like the "irl me". In the virtual world i am the interpretation of what i want to be if i had no restrictions like in real life. So it makes me wonder:
Who's the real me? The person i am on internet who's free to speak and act like he want with no restrictions, or the irl me that is calm, a lil bit shy.

| both

you decide on who you want to be

| >>186593
It's weird, i feel like i can't decide

| But you do it anyway, alone through existing.
Choosing to not choose is also a decision.

| Im the real me, i don’t use social media. I hate the idea that i have to live my life just to upload stuff online so people can see how cool and unique I am. The only thing I use is the messaging apps and that’s mostly because of a necessity

| A decision that i dont decide

| >>186630
sry but that doesn't have something to do with anything.

>>186631
Thats a good question. Do we have free will? Or might our consciousness just be the rider on a Horse commenting on where the horse goes. The horse decides to go left and our mind explains why we DECIDED to go left. Without any power but still believing that everything we do is our own personal decision, carved out of our own free will.

| OP, you are both versions of yourself you are explaining. Neither is less important, and neither is not "real".

The online "you" is simply ss you stated it: your conscious personality when unrestricted by all of the different aspects of physical life, but you are still the same person behind the keyboard and mouse, just with different parts of the classic "human experience" taken out.

Don't let yourself get to the point where you see yourself as a persona. Thats when sanity ends.

| >>186641
Free will doesn't exist, and that's good..
You'll always react based on your previous experiences, so everything you do can theoretically be calculated by a powerful enough computer, everything you do including trying to prove to yourself you have free will is merely a reaction from your previous experiences.

And that's a good thing, because when things go wrong, instead of blaming yourself, you can simply ask yourself "what made me do this" and try to improve that way.

| If the two of you are the real you, who am I supposed to shoot?

Both are real.

The "you" that exist in my mind is just a fragment and will never be a 100% accurate representation of you. Your parents "you" wont be the same as your friends "you", or mine, and none of those will be near your idea of you.
What we see is what others let us see. What we think of someone is based on what we have seen of them.

| >>186723 that's interesting because for me it leads to the other conclusion, if I have no free will, why would I even try to change because if everything i am is based upon my experiences then I simply have no control over what I will be.
I think there is both, we have free will, but are mist of the time commanded by our experiences+instinct. The fact that we are self aware and able to judge on that mean that we can think beyond those chains and, sometimes, go in a tottaly new way.

| I think our free will, our atonomy, is defined and limited by our past experiences and the circumstances we live in. The door is open to do what we want, but hardset logic dictates that we don't. We are free without being free in a sense. Ultimately, we are slaves to our emotions and to the system in place--it indirectly defines who we are and what we do. To that end, we meerly have the illusion of free will.

| Who you are was written in your genes from day 1.

| I just be what the people want

| >>187625
Wow, someone brought up the genes! IT'S THE GENES! IT'S-Okay, this is very, very stupid.

Genetics can change and twist. Heck, even epigenetics can easily be bent. Who you are is not set in stone, even appearance set from the genes can mutate and indisputably change.

Genes along with environment and how you interact with your environment is what enventually decides who you are. It has always been like that since forever.

| I'm a hater *Dabs on myself*

| No but seriously.. im the guy whos patiently waiting for the next article from the aug

| >>189091
They went out on a bang.. seriously

| >>187201
Because "change" is a fundamental survival technique, it's the principle behind natural selection, so you wouldn't "try" to change, you would change unconditionally to adapt to the environment, to survive as first priority.

As it's part of the fundamental life goal -- to survive long enough to pass your genes and memes unto the next generation.

Total number of posts: 19, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1521275164

This thread is permanently archived