danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
uh, doujinkas

| any of you sell derivative regularly

did you ever encounter law enforcement
what usually happens

| Law enforcement doesn't typically get involved in copyright disputes iirc, it goes to civil court

That said I wouldn't bother making a derivative work of any company that's known to be aggressive with it's IP, i.e. most American companies, Disney, Nintendo, ect.

| >>826478 agresive? theres like tons of marvels and disney fanart online

but logically theyre all straight up illegal, right?

| You have to pay them 50k as a fine for being sussy

| >>826479
>marvels and disney fanart online
They won't go after that because it's not monetized, but Disney has been known to do things like sue a daycare that had some of their characters painted on the wall
>illegal
Unless you're pirating media the chances of law enforcement getting involved are slim to none. You're more looking at a cease and desist letter and then a lawsuit if you refuse to comply. See also: AM2R, or any other nintendo fangame

| >>826669
It's kind of a weird area in copyright. With derivative works, whoever made it has copyright to it, but the owner of the work it's derived from can also exert some control over it(mostly by blocking it from being sold or distributed) but can't make copies of it themselves. So in the above example, Nintendo could block AM2R, but couldn't then publish it themselves. I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted over derivative works, but I guess it could happen.

| Just live in china or any other backwater country that doesn't care about copyright enforcement.

| very interested in the doujins OP might be making :))

| >>826479 illegal is when you straight up claim their work or pirate them. If you say draw Mario that drawing is technically yours but Nintendo can dispute it and they will probably win, but cops won't come at you. And even then it usually ends with a cease and desist, no one goes straight to court.

| Oh shit the two above already said the same shit I'm blind

| Yes.
No.
It's not very profitable, tbh.

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1642985641

This thread is permanently archived