danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Favorite older anime?

| I've always been a fan of Boogiepop Phantom and Texhnolyze. What are some classics you enjoy?

| all of those dark and gritty anime from 2000 - 2008

| really anything from that era. but darker than black, one i've rewatched many times, is IT.

| Dirty Pair (1985) is super stylish. Big fan. Idk, most of the anime I've seen fall squarely in between the years 1980 and 2000. Bubblegum Crisis, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and Gunsmith Cats are great. Stop! You're Under Arrest is pretty cute.

| Crying Freeman and Angel Cop are faves

| Patlabor in general, but Patlabor 2 is my pick. It's an incredible conspiracy thriller, its animation is gorgeous, and it has so much cool tech. The F-15 Eagle+ in particular, it's wicked cool.
Shoutout to Gasaraki as well. I don't know what the hell it is, but I want more of it.

| Probably Boogiepop Phantom. Love the music, tone and how the plot is interconnected. However, I recommend watching the first couple episodes of the newer series or reading the first light novel before for more insight.

| elona

| Haibane Renmei genuinely changed my life.

| Mitsubachi Maya no Bouken

| .hack//SIGN still holds up

| Haibane Renmei is great! I'm really happy to see all the genuine mentions on the thread. Y'all are awesome.

| >>936104 true, actually.

| >>936104
Love .hack//SIGN

| >>936008
It has that effect on a lot of people!

| CAPTAIN HARLOCKU

| Outlaw Star. Maybe Galaxy Angels too. Really any space opera released around that time.

| Boku no pico

| ergo proxy

| Spice and wolf will always have a place im my heart.

| Serial Experiment Lain

| >>936422
calling spice and wolf old bruh

T_T

| >>936448
>2006 was 17 years ago...

| >>936497 T-that's not too long... ;~;

| People really need to specify what classifies as "old" in these posts. Give me a time range

| >>936388
>>935811
real

| texhnolyze, the grittiness of that show is like no other. and the story, just watching this city slowly implode by tensions rising between groups is just, i've never seen that anywhere else. it's realistic in a sense that there is not one single thing causing these tensions and what inevitably happens, it happens because of all these little things combined. great show.
>>936008
it hasnt changed my life but i really liked it

| any recommendations for obscure but essential older shows?

| I recently watched Figure 17, it was really good and I'm surprised I never hear people talk about it.

| >>937395
>Each episode consists of about 35–40 minutes of the titular Tsubasa's and Hikaru's school lives, and is typically concluded by about 5–10 minutes of fighting alien monsters called Maguar.
Haha, wat? Might watch later.

| >>937428
It's such a stupid premise, but somehow they actually pull it off. The slice-of-life parts are genuinely emotionally touching, and meanwhile the fighting parts give a real sense of an escalating arms race against a dangerous alien threat. It's not perfect by any means, but it is way better than it has any right to be.

| Gurren Lagann still manages to get some tears out of me whenever I rewatch it

| Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu

| >>938013
2001 was 8 years ago.

Total number of posts: 34, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1673615630

This thread is permanently archived