danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Ufotable is Overrated

| People say that Ufotable is the best anime studio of our time. I would happen to disagree. On the one hand there is Sunrise with great animation and writing that have produced iconic original series, as well as Tatsunoko Production, responsible for Macross and a lot of the leg work for Evangelion among many other iconic series. To me, these companies which have had iconicity for many decades have actual proof that they are legitimately good studios. Such cannot be said for Ufotable

| P.S: Before you mention Fate or Demon Slayer, I am not a fan of either, because of questionable writing choices and pacing which is sometimes wonky or is padded out for runtime leading to a lot of partial canon episodes.

Madhouse and MAPPA are exactly the same.

| Is ufotable also responsible for the writing in their anime? Visually they're pretty good, but Demon Slayer's writing and tonal balance is just all over the damn place and frankly one of the worst pacing I've seen. Definitely overrated imo

| I do agree that Ufotable is overated, but you bringing up sunrise doesn't help your argument here. What is "canon episode" in space dandy? Also cowboy bebop is an episodic adventure, you can skip some of them and don't miss any context for the ending. Oh, and evangelion looks like shit.

What does sunrise do in the past decade? I am not a fan of mecha so their other work is just... love live?

| Ufotable does the visual justice, but when it comes to animation,they tend to shy away from doing hand drawn sakuga scene and rely on small cuts or CG. Some of their work like Touken Ranbu is also nothing to write home about. It does look good, some scene are just boring 2 guys standing around and talking.

Also, if the source material has shit writing, I have no ideo how the studio can fix it.

| >>898128
Yeah, Ufotable's works look pretty on stills and in certain scenes, but the animation is not usually very impressive.

I didn't read Demon Slayer myself, but a friend who did said that the manga at least doesn't take itself too seriously, which makes the silly scenes work. The anime is just this weird clash of serious emotional scenes and silly whiplash.

| >>898127

You are not wrong, I was referring to Gundam when commenting on Sunrise. It took a lot of effort to reinvent the franchise again with Iron Blooded Orphans, which still remains relevant and generally well received compared to Aldnoah Zero, Darling in the Franxx and even 86.

| It sounds more like you're just not a fan of the properties that ufotable been responsible for adapting. I think it would be a reach to say they've done bad work on any of their major series and are responsible for 2 of the biggest franchises around right now. definitely not my favorite studio by any means but they're certainly notable

| Who?

| I would say TRIGGER is the best, but they have a particular style of animation and hype, and if you don't enjoy that I could see why you wouldn't consider them.

| >>898217
I'm not a fan of IBO in a large part *because* it is a gundam series, and gundam animation has always been more grounded in reality than other series.

Like, most gundam mechs look like they would actually be able to function, and then we have the wasp-waisted Barbatos that should have had metal shearing the moment he tried swinging that stupid big club.

If it wasn't trying to climb on the shoulders of the series that came before I would like it more.

| >>af3b81
Fair. It does accomplish its tone and themes quite well, though, at least that is what I believe is most important, outside of plot. (You are not wrong though, I hate G Gundam because of the mechs and stupid plot, but that could turn into another thread all on its own).

| >>898217

IBO was horseshit garbage bruh

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1664233312

This thread is permanently archived