danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Detective Conan and Doraemon

| They are my childhood and basically Japanese people's too but none of my western friends seem to relate. Very sadde times

| I already forgotten about doraemon, thou I'm still watching Detective Conan weekly, even thou sometimes it's just filler but yeah.. it's fun guessing the culprit. Conan is still trying figuring out who is RUM now.

| It's always so bizarre to me that Doraemon and Detective Conan aren't well known in the west. Everyone and their mum knows them here.

| I used to watch Detective Conan when I was a kid too, although I can relate in how nobody seems to know about it here.

| Wow, haven't heard of those in a while...

| >>686019 let me know when he finally turned back into an adult.. teenager.. not sure how the timeline works at this point really

| Oh, speaking about guessing the culprit, I always wanted to try doing that sometimes but immediately got rekt by the abundance of japanese pun/kanji-related hints

| >>686182
there's few time conan back to his normal bodies (shinichi) with some help of the medicine of course from haibara, but for literally back to himself without going back to conan is still not known yet.

thou there's an OVA where's conan never able to go back to shinichi and has to grown up together with the detective boys. Pretty interesting OVA, better check it out

| >>686183
yeah.. the thing that involve japanese culture for solving the case is kinda suck because most of us are watching not really understand japanese culture pretty well. But most of it sometimes can be solve without really understand the japanese thing, just remembering what the suspects say in the start of episode

| >>686157
Huh a lot of people myself included read Detective Conan as a kid. But is it really kid-friendly, you think? I remember there were some gruesome scenes that traumatize me as a kid.

| 1. Structured like soap opera/90's romcom anime
It has begining, it has the middle part, but it has no end. The positive thing about it, is people can jump and watch any episode without missing much. The downside, there's no incentive to keep watching. Western series/new anime series pulled this off better by structuring their episodes by season, even if there's no ending planned for the show, there's still climax/conclusion for each seasons.

| 2. Discouraging amount of filler episodes
More so for Conan, because unlike Doraemon, it has an actual plot buried by those filler episodes. Those "canon episodes" are so far in between that you need some kind of guide to only watch episodes related to the black organization.

| This also means that the story is dragged just to keep making more episodes, I mean, the show kinda acknowledges this, the detectives in the show calls Kogoro by "Shinigami" because he keeps stumbling into murder cases no matter where he goes. It's not about a detective solving murder cases anymore, it's more about what murder case we can have this week, while wait for more "canon episodes"

| 3. No character progression
Not saying that Dragonball is better than these shows, but at least characters in shounen shows grow stronger... while Nobita will always on the 6th grade and Conan doesn't get smarter/broken/jaded no matter how much mysteries he solves. Just survived a bomb blast? Wild helicopter ride? Next episode, he'll start with no mental/physical scar, taking out the stake out of any action scenes.

| 4. Outdated

Both shows character was designed decades ago and unless it is the movie counterpart, most of the episodes doesn't feature appealing shot/ lively animation.

I have no idea the modern counterpart of Dorarmon, but Keroro Gunsou/Sergeant Frog looks better then Doraemon, and that says something because Keroro itself already looks outdated by today's standard.

Also, Hyouka looks miles better than Conan in terms of character design and animation.

| >>686249
Dude I love those episodes where Conan goes back to his original body. Though after a couple of those it's becoming clear that the author just wants to tease us.

| >>686366
for some episode in Conan has part 1, 2 and so on. And also the story in Conan is doing some progress even thou it is "really really slow", you can't really jump to any episode in Conan to know the progress about black organization and stuff, except you talking about filler episode

| >>686369
>>686370
You can't just compare long running anime with some seasonal anime. Also both series was made to entertain us without really give the tense of every episode need to make progression. Those show are that kind of show you watch in sunday morning while enjoying your cereal. Not that show you need to watch seriously while eating chips. And of course they are outdated they were made like before 2000 duh... they do changes compare the recent episode with the old one.

| >>686366
>>686367
>>686368
>>686369
>>686370
yeah... no shit sherlock

| >>686315
As a kid I used to scared to the culprit hiding in the shadow which portrait as all black character with sinister eyes. And also for the first half of episodes the death scene is sure brutal, like the beheaded, stab and hanging to the wall, and the arson

| >>686470 Aside for a few exceptions, "long-runing shows" have adapted and structured themselves into arcs/seasons because that's how airing deal works with TV stations nowadays.

If you bring source material for anime adaptation, you either propose it for 12-13 episodes or 22-26 episodes; even if the source is popular and enough for 60+ episodes. After the first season (12 or 22 episodes) ends, if enough interest is there, they renew the contract.

| You simply don't get show running indefinetely until the author dies anymore.

>shows made to entertain us without...

Yes for Doraemon, not so much for Conan. The show keeps teasing viewers with confortation with Black Organization, and they also sometimes put conan/ran/other characters in dangerous situations, with the similar aim of what other action shows are doing. Also, we have cute girls doing cute things and slice of life shows now if you want watch to relax after work.

| Also cute gurls doing cute things are more popular in Japan, less western audiance watch these kinda "watch to relax" anime. And that kinda extends to why Doraemon isn't as popular in the west.

OP: Sad that westerner can't relate
Me: Here's why (wall of text) oh yeah, and they are outdated, that's why.
Gurl: Well DUH of course it is outdated!

>confused.jpg

| >>686624 uh, is that really the reason that westerners can't relate though? they might be outdated now but OP is talking about their childhood. OP is 25 now. Source: am OP

| >>686624
back then there's no cute girl doing cute thing. do your research

| >>685951
western and eastern culture is way different, maybe that's why the western audience can't really relate to them. Those show feels like alien to western audience because they see something that they never really see in their live. And maybe they are localization but there's some part that can't really localize pretty well for those show

| >>686634 without internet, kids 15-10 years back, watched whatever aired on sunday morning when they eat cereal/ before going to church or temple. If you are Asian, the TV most likely aired anime like Conan/Doraemon, maybe TV in the Europe/USA simply aired different shows. That or subscription TV was more widespread at that time in the west, so kids (and their parents) had options in choosing shows that they watch.

| >>686638 I know, I did say "that kinda extend to doreamon", which implies... whatever, I have no idea that I have to spell everything out so that people don't go "no shit" or "do your research".

| those two are what was aired on tv when i was a kid so... it didn't grow to be one of my favorites, but it sure is nostalgic

| >>686660 yeah, makes sense.

>>686680 boy I fangirled on Conan a lot and always anticipated whenever they aired one of the movies as a kid. nowadays I've mostly grown out of it as well as other repetitive series that the author just don't want to end.

| Doraemon's manga and the anime shows were a big part of my childhood. I found Conan a bit boring so I watched and read kindaichi instead.

Total number of posts: 31, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1597062121

This thread is permanently archived