danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Dirty Pair: Another Danger/u/ Review

| By Review G/u/rl

| From the studio that brought you Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, and many more legendary classics, comes a new space age wonder! Well... perhaps it's not very new. But hey, in the billions of years that Earth has been around, 1985 isn't that long ago! Think back. Sony Walkmans were all the rage, and the word "radical" was still... well... radical. In these days, the famous Sunrise Inc. was actually known as Nippon Sunrise Inc.

| From the studio that brought you Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, and many more legendary classics, comes a new space age wonder! Well... perhaps it's not very new. But hey, in the billions of years that Earth has been around, 1985 isn't that long ago! Think back. Sony Walkmans were all the rage, and the word "radical" was still... well... radical. In these days, the famous Sunrise Inc. was actually known as Nippon Sunrise Inc.

| It's December 26, 1985, and the company's Studio 4 has just finished airing it's Animage Grand Prix award winning animation "Dirty Pair". So buckle up, because we're about to warp in, and take a close up look at this old-school anime! Please note that this anime is based off a light novel (which I did not read), and has many subsequent animations and manga (which I did not watch), so we'll just be looking at the original 26 episode long animation today.

| ---

| Let's take a look at the plot. 404 ERROR: NOT FOUND. Oh, that's right. I forgot to mention it, but this is an episodic anime, so as far as overall plot goes, there isn't much. The anime follows Kei and Yuri across the galaxy, as they complete jobs for the WWWA. They are Trouble Consultants (which are basically mercenaries who fix people's problems for profit). Despite the lack of an overarching plot, we can still take a look at the individual plot lines of each episode.

| Kei and Yuri are hired for a job, and complain about needing a vacation. One with a bunch of stronk hunks to hang out with. They show up and solve the case, with as much collateral damage as possible (hence their team name - "Dirty Pair"). Then they go home, generally leaving things worse off than before (but hey, at least the job is done). It's pretty obvious that the show doesn't take itself too seriously, and you shouldn't either, because that's not the kind of show this is.

| ---

| Warping on over to sound, you'll find what is arguably one of the best anime opening songs ever. It's an absolute bop g/u/rls. As for the rest of the show, the music is pretty scarce. Each episode, they play a groovy little thing that sounds a bit like their theme song, just as Kei and Yuri are about to solve the case.

| Honestly, it got me kinda hyped, because each time it played, I knew the Dirty Pair we're about to do the impossible yet again. Other than that, there's a groovy outro, and that's about it. Seriously though g/u/rls, even if you don't plan on picking up the anime, do yourselves a favour and listen to this intro.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTMe1vhUxh0

| ---

| The animation style of this '80s anime is remarkably '80s, and if you've got a problem with that, let me be the first to tell you that you have objectively bad taste. Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh. But seriously, the animation on this was Λ Ξ S T H Σ TIC af. There were a couple scenes here and there that could have had a bit more work put into them animation wise, but overall, the art stands up really well.

| ---

| This anime was a lot of fun to work through. Most of the jokes landed really well, and I genuinely had a good time watching it. You could binge the whole thing in a few days, as I had, but I feel as though you may enjoy it more if you just watch an episode each day or week. As an episodic anime, you don't need to remember each little thing that happened yesterday, or last week.

| All you need to know is that you're about to watch the Dirty Pair getting themselves into some space age shenanigans. If you're on the hunt for feels, or deep plots, or mega interesting characters, you're probably not going to find it here. That's not what Dirty Pair is about. It's just a fun-loving laid-back animation, and that's really what makes it so enjoyable.

| ---

| Wrapping up! This fall of 1985 anime is a blast to watch. It's episodic nature gives you a stress free viewing experience. You don't need to remember what happened in the last episode. Just strap into your spaceship and enjoy the ride! The intro is one of the few that I just couldn't bring myself to skip. Other than that, the music is pretty scarce, but well placed when it does show up.

| The animation style is Λ Ξ S T H Σ TIC '80s™, and is really well done. The jokes land, and the characters, although not particularly deep, are lovable and funny. The situations are entertaining, and occasionally had me on the edge of my seat, and laughing simultaneously. Dirty Pair is a fun anime, that I'd recommend for sure. Thanks for reading g/u/rls! Leave me some recommendations, and I'll see ya next time.

| Another oldie but goodie review!

| Honestly? Thank you so much for recommending this. It's so hard to find an enjoyable anime to turn your brain off to these days.

| >>615634 Agreed! I hope you enjoy the anime g/u/rl! You might have already seen my previous review, but just in case you haven't, you should also take a look at the Gunsmith Cats OVA for some laid-back brain-off 90s fun. Let me know if you have any similar recommendations too!

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1578614896

This thread is permanently archived