Deep/philosophical animes

| Looking for recommendations, I enjoyed serial experiment lain
Ergo Proxy
Angel Beats
Ghost in the shell also goes in that direction, definitely nice

| Kuchuu Buranko, it delves deep into psychological stuff and is trippy af

| None. All anime is fake deep

| >>541234 salty

| Casshern Sins, Texnolyze, Kino no Tabi, Mushishi, Madoka Magica, Tenshi no Tamago

| There have been papers written on Evangelion. I mean... chances are it all actually means nothing, and was all just thrown together because they had no budget. But maybe it means something. Check it out.

| >>541415
Wasn't the creator of Evangelion struggling with clinical depression and Eva was a way for him to express it/cope with it?

| >>6c5fbd
So what is deep then?

| Psycho Pass

| >>541415 annoliterally came outand said the "symbolism" was just stuff they thought looked cool

| >>541502 most consumable media that's held as "deep" are things that actively try to be "deep" or are really just dark/edgy and therefore miss the mark all together

| Well if you think Angel Beats is deep then almost every other anime? Because I find that one very shallow in almost all aspects, characters, plot and all. I don't even know why people like it that much.

| I'd say whether something is deep or not mostly depends on who is watching it and how much they can take away from it.

Asking "which anime is deep" is like asking "which anime has affected you the most". There might be some common themes, but it's mostly down to the individuals.

| I want to recommend Madoka Magica because I take it as about loneliness, Japan's workplace culture that overwork and disconnect employees, and how a lot of people ends up dying alone.

But I can definitely see how people might think of it as what if magical girl but edgy.

| >>541757 yeah, I can agree with OP's other examples, but Angel Beats.... lol

-The opening gave away too much about tenshi.
-Obligatory sob story for everyone, some has borderline retarded backstory
-Too many characters, a lot of them are one note
-Can't decide if it want to be funny slice of life or dark mystery story.
-The vice president could be a good villain, but he ended up joining the team.

| >>541823 Then there's the problem of bad villians in todays not only anime industry unfortunately but that's a discussion for another time I digress

| >>541250
But true

| >>541997 truth is subjective most of the time

| God I wish I was subjective >>541998

| 2004 monster, won't regret it

| Galaxy Express 999 and Cardcaptor Sakura

| Paranoia agent. Monster.

| Parasyte, but if you want a philosophical AND good anime then you best look elsewhere.

Total number of posts: 23, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1553614356

This thread is permanently archived