danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
What's your favorite "underground"/lesser known anime?

| Not sure if it's as unknown as it seems, but Dusk Maiden of Amnesia was an oddly enjoyable show for me. It never expects you to take it too seriously, but yet it manages many dark themes and moral values very well. The mc is a nobody, and it kind of works for this show.

What's one of your favorite underground animes and why? :)

| Wolf's rain

Not really an unknown one, but its the most beautiful and sad anime I have ever seen, it never took off as others

| >>181661
I have yet to see that, I've heard many good things about it though.

| A little underground gem I like to call attack of titan, you probably never heard of it. It’s pretty cool

| >>181822 Don't get it wrong! It is my favourite one, and the only one to make me cry so far

| Jinrui

| >>181825 fuck you cuck

| Death parade

| Paprika

| Punchline. It's strong in fanservice at the beginning, but oh boy it has a great plot twist

| junk boy, great ova that inspired golden boy

| >>181656 I prefered the manga by a large margin.

I'd say the most underrated thing I like that also happens to be really good is Mawaru Penguindrum. No one talks about it, but it's really fucking good, probably my favorite of all time.

| Pupa

| Trigun

| Can the original Gundam count? Because apparently it's a rarity to find someone that has seen it in recent years.

| >>182534 i don't see why not. I've never seen a Gundam show tbh. Any good? I like some mech animes like Gurren Lagann and Gargantia. Not exactly my favorite genre though

| Oh, does the Cashern Sins remake/reinterpretation count as "underground"?
Because I think it's rly great.
Oh and what about Ergo-Proxy?

| >>182145 this, or Un-Go.

| >>182604
I just finished Ergo Proxy last week. That show is flippin fantastic. SEL may be best mindfuck, but Ergo Proxy comes in close second.

| >>182316 just now saw your reply. I'm not much pf a manga reader but I might have to give that one a try.

| >>182145
Punchline is so good, it comes across as so silly fanservice for the first half or so but gdi it gets so good

| >>181918 love you too gurl <3

| Does Elfen Lied count? Kinda forced with some of it's motifs, but I loved it.

| Any love for kyousougiga?

| Xam'd is really cool, same with Eureka 7, both kinda under the radar

| Most "underground shows" have such a large niche following though so its hard to tell of anything that isn't popular somewhere, but I'd suggest Kini's journey. While not exactly "underground" I rarely hear people talk about it for how good it is.

| Thought I'd also highly suggest "Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji" if your into a more brutal take on gambling and great characters.

| I'm not sure underground anime is a thing anymore, it's so widely viewed.

| Airgear was pretty cool

| Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku

| Scryed.

| Bible Black

| Zegapain

| Needless

| Actually, scratch that, Canaan and Beetrain's Girls with guns trilogy

| ToraDora

| Don't know if they are considered underground yet, but there are fewer and fewer mentions of Haruhi Suzumiya and Spice and Wolf

| I really liked Texhnolyze. People normally drop it after the first ep because it has like two lines of dialogue, but that's because they didn't have the contracts with the VAs worked out yet.

| Mahoujin guru guru

| >>184094
Fuck man I really wanted to enjoy it because I like ABe's art but dropped it right in the middle because I found myself suddenly not knowing what the fuck is going on. Shoulda paid more attention.

| >>184248
Yeah I get that
Do you remember what arc you were on? Like not a real named arc or whatever just what was going on.

| Haibane Ren Mei

| >>181661
It's kinda gay.

| Ebichu the housekeeping hamster

| Planetes

| Kaiji .

| What about Gilgamesh? I think it has a very good plot, it deserves a remake with better drawing style

| R.O.D. Read or Die.

| blood+ is soooo cool

| resonance in terror was really nice

| Boogiepop Phantom for something dark and dense, R.O.D. (ova) for something more action-oriented, Dog & Scissors for some stupid fun, and She and Her Cat (The original short) for something simple/touching/sentimental

| >>184090 Nothing is underground if it was once really popular...

| >>185123
GIRUGAMESH!

| Daughters of Mnemosyne

| Jin-Rou, Texhnolyze

| I don't think The Tatami Galaxy is a very well known anime.

| One and only South park!

| > Please Teacher.
It is so bad that it's good. Everything is so Goddamn weird. A teacher is married to a student for fuck sake. They made some crappy excuse about him being 18 but looks young because he was in a coma.
Oh. And the teacher is a FUCKIN' ALIEN.
This is why I love it.

| Black Jack

| I have a few, not sure if they're underground, though:
Angelic Layer
Galaxy Angel
Baki The Grappler

I watched these when I was little, so I don't know if it's as good as my nostalgia is telling me

| Genshiken

| People say Usagi drop is best father&daughter anime, but for me it is SoltyRei, omg that ending hurt

| Shigurui is pretty good.

| Ah. I forgot to say. If you like romantic stuff, watch
> Say I love You.
God damn this anime. It is amazing. If you want something that is a little too cliché at times or a heart warming romantic comedy, I cannot recommend this anime enough.

| >>185770
I LOVE ANIME!

| "Pumpkin Scissors" are pretty good.

| >>188851 what's it about

| I can't be sure if it really is all that "underground", but I can't for my life find anywhere to watch it (though I think it is available in Crunchyroll, which I don't have). I'm talking about Cobra/Space Adventure Cobra.

Again though, I'vr hardly been able to watch it, but it seemed pretty good from what I could.

| Land of the Lustrous though it's picking up speed now. The thematically suit answer for this place would be Serial Experiments Lain-- but I'm thinking hm... Xam'd is awesome. So there's three good answers I think.

| There is this anime called Rec(?). It's about an advert employee had sex with a novice VA and they live together. Some Slice-of-Life crap, but i like it. Lol.

| >>183564 is that an underground anime?

| >>182604 i watched it but i feel weird about the ending. Is it good is it bad? No effin clue.

| Dream Hunter Rem

| Spongebob best anime

| Paranoia Agent - it's by satoshi kon and I haven't heard a lot of people talk about it before

| Mirai Shounen Conan
It's a very interesting take on our post-apocolyptic future!

| Children of the whale

| Bartender the Animation! Not as good as the manga but it still keeps the "get to know your drink" part

| Inferno Cop
Its a comedic masterpiece

Total number of posts: 79, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1521474564

This thread is permanently archived