danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
What is best cloud for photos and txt files?

| I feel fine to have 2 seperate cloud services for photos and than txt.. I'm wanting unlimited place for photos and at least 1 GB? (but 500 MB should have be ok too.. or maybe less)

I'm thinking about Google Photos + Drive.. but idk if it's good idea and make photos quality lower..

Also password recovery (without data lose), and possibility to login from any device is really important for me. (no device limits counts)

I would being happy for recomendations ^^

| never went near the stuff.
clouds are bad mkey.

i've been told nextcloud is a good and cheap solution (i'm assuming on a cheap VPS / home server), no personal knowladge in the topic though.

| Google Drive

| Don't use Google. After using it for a bit, I'm now going through the hell of trying to pull everything down onto a local solution with off-site backups.

| >>928961 Google takeout it's not *that* bad

| >>928891 I run a nextcloud instance and can recommend, there's no cheaper storage than spinning rust you buy yourself, downside is you have to manage your server yourself

| I would recommend nextcloud. It's open source and supports many open standards. You have the choice either to trust an existing provider or host your own instance.

| Self hosted SeaFile. Only SeaFile has proper client side encryption.

| >>929373 you can just use rclone and encrypt it yourself for whatever provider you want, I wouldn't trust anyone's client because it's *their* client they can update it to send off your keys wherever they want

|

| >>929429 Well then you better compile rclone yourself and probably most if not all of your OS as well. ;)

Only half joking. Get your point but SeaFile is not just for backups but also for syncing. Yes you can do that manually as well but tools like SeaFile make it easier. Anyway my point was that if you use a self hosted "cloud", SeaFile is better than NextCloud both in stability, reliability and actual encryption method.

| >>929429 Well then you better compile rclone yourself and probably most if not all of your OS as well. ;)

Only half joking. Get your point but SeaFile is not just for backups but also for syncing. Yes you can do that manually as well but tools like SeaFile make it easier. Anyway my point was that if you use a self hosted "cloud", SeaFile is better than NextCloud both in stability, reliability and actual encryption method.

| I love that danger/u/ sometimes just double posts.

| I've not looked into seafile much my main point was saying only they do encryption right is just wrong

How exactly is their encryption better than nextcloud anyway they both seem to have client side end to end encryption if you enable it in nextcloud

Total number of posts: 14, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1668450245

This thread is permanently archived