danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Is x86 staying with us forever and ever?

| To small introduction..

PS1, 2 had MIPS
PS3 had Cells
and PS4, 5 moved to x86 APU

PSP was MIPS
PS Vita was ARM

Gamecube, Wii, Wii U was using PowerPC
And Switch is using ARM

+motherboards from older architectures if was backward compatible

Steam Deck is using x86 APU

and "cloud" oponnents or alternatives like Logitech/Razer ARM or Aya Neo/GPD x86..

but i feel little doubts if is ok that we have development like this..

| Sony stopped make handhelds, and they started make computers since PS4..

Nintendo visited phones..

And Valve make decent laptop..

but somehow no one from them is thinking about that would use RISC, MIPS architecture.. Are x86 and ARM technologically best what we can have?

| I feel that traditional companies like Sony or Nintendo was start to worring about to design own hardware, and just visited mainstream. Wii U and PS3 wasn't most successful lines..

Apple recently moved from x86 to ARM.. (and i think that it's probably good step for future) But it's looks like that x86 will stay in PCs forever, and ARM in phones forever.. And console manufacturers just joined them..

| I feel that i can already now predict that PS6 will use x86 and Nintendo "Swich 2" probably ARM. (if they won't surprise). When i use Steam Deck it's really fun to play on it. But also it's reminding me that if it was ARM/MIPS based, it would using performence maybe more effectively.. Or if was existed some kind of modular computer which can turning on/off processors which need for own task.

| I feel that it's need new kind of architecture which could replace x86 and ARM, and for older architectures could exists some kind of backward compatibility board (like is for example MiSTer but for x86/ARM for being more relevant)

I'm curious what are you thinking about my idea "^^ please tell me your opinions about it ^^

| Personally i see interesting idea about RISC-V

| x86 has so wide software support that unless we convince everyone to FOSS (good luck) which can be recompiled to ARM or RISC-V, it'll stay for a while

Apple is causing a bit of change with their ARM chips at least though, and if others want to keep up with the performance, x86 won't cut it, so we might see ARM or RISC laptops in the future

| >>899650
i mean we already have some chromebooks that have arm processors. i'm hoping for a processor that doesn't have a management engine or platform security processor and i think currently arm is my best bet.

| I personally think everything will eventually switch to arm but I think the reason consoles and stuff are switching to x86 is that you can use off the shelf components or custom chips from the same vender, and you'll have perfect backwards compatibility for free as long as you keep using x86 and don't jump architecture

X86 currently also had the performance crown and I'm not sure you could make a arm or risc v CPU with the same performance without a large r&d investment

| Well apple's m1 are a beginning. They have some x86 retrocompatibility.

Modern cpu are somewhat already internaly hybrid. Amd was working on full hybrid cpu at one time, so it might become a reality...

Linus Torvalds was happy when he compiled Linus for apple m1, saying it was the first step to get arm64 servers, as servers just use the same arch than the dev's computer.

Total number of posts: 10, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1664914693

This thread is permanently archived