danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
[FFmpeg] How do I decently compress a video?

| I have 40 gigabytes of raw frame data in PNG format. There are about 70 thousand frames.
How do I convert it into a video stream of acceptable size? (I imagine a well encoded video would be a tenth of this size.)

| Honestly you don't even need to encode it well it'll be way smaller with even a bad encode

| AV1 has best (I think optional lossless) compression. HEVC (aka. H.265) is second best codec. Both will be way smaller. Even lossless, since only changed image information is stored between frames.

| I think whatever file you make, chosing vbr when encoding will help

| honestly just use the 1st anwser on stack overflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24961127/how-to-create-a-video-from-images-with-ffmpeg

unless you have a special use case like lossless long term archiving there's no real reason to use anything but libx264 as it's the most supported video encoding, it's still very effective and quick to process

| OP here.
>>899470 Thank you very much. At 24 FPS and CRF 23, the average bitrate is down to around 600(!) kbps with no discernable loss of quality. The resulting file is a little under two gigs, which is way less than anticipated and more than fits on a DVD, which was the use case for the encoding.
You're a saint and I'll headpat you. <3

Total number of posts: 6, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1664981067

This thread is permanently archived