danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
How to VPN

| My country's government is being aggressively stupid lately and has been banning websites left and right. I wonder what's the best way to bypass that?

Any VPN services you g/u/rls recommend? I don't mind paying if the price is worth it.

| Depends on how serious Indonesia is about locking down the internet. Iirc, any website that doesn't register with the governmenr is suspectible, right? I can't imagine any vpn would be accessible- it would have to be companies small enough that they'd be unaware of it, depending on how they accomplish the great firewall.

If they're just flat out blocking everything and working off a whitelist, I think you're SOL OP. danger/u/ would go bye bye too. :<

| Seem they're just going off a blocklist and can mostly be bypassed by using alternative DNS atm, but who the fuck knows if that's all they're gonna do.

I'd love to know of any alternative at all. People in China managed (somewhat), so can we.

... god but this is all so fucking depressing.

| Not where you are but I second using a alternative dns service, dns over tls is a thing they shouldn't be able to fuck I think
If it still no work and you actually need a VPN assuming they don't block oracle web services, grab their always free tier, pick an arm server and setup wireguard I think the data cap is like 10tb so you're unlikely to even hit it

| (the arm servers get more bandwidth than the eypc ones) wireguard is easy Oracle weirdness is harder, but it's free

Bonus points you get a router like an Asus one and just route everything through wireguard with it so you only have to set it up once

| ProtonVPN?

| >>883745
Ooh thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

>>883766
I keep hearing the word ProtonVPN but in the same way that I keep hearing the name of a product whose ads keep playing when I watch YouTube. Is it actually good or are people just parroting the name?

| Psiphon is a good free VPN. They will show you an ad when you connect but then no more ads and it is free.99 so you can't beat that if u just wanna test the waters before subscribing to something like surfshark or expressvpn. Also you may wanna try just using the TOR browser but stay in the clearnet.

| >>b4cc3c been using proton for a while for region locked jp games, it works well except for some reason only JP#1 works as if other JP servers aren't exactly in japan or something. It's a free vpn so don't expect the same performance you'll get to paid vpns.

Btw don't use a vpn for paypal since they're gonna lock you out of ur account. So just use cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 it's also in the playstore

| >>883806 PayPal locks accounts for VPN? I guess I got lucky when I used to buy RuneScape members in mxn lol

| Ah hell alternative DNS are already getting blocked. Fucking wankers.

>>883783 >>883806
Appreciate these. I'll check them out.

>>885686
I heard it's region-locking i.e. if your VPN is still in the same country, you'll probably be fine.

(i'm op btw)

| >>885695 well they didn't for me and a couple of my friends
I thought maybe it's North America but I think they used Brazil BRL not MXN and we are not even on the same constant

| >>883783
Well. Psiphon doesn't work at all.

| I use Mullvad, it's a flat 5 euro a month and super convenient. One cool thing is that you can send them an envelope with 5 euro and an account number you generate online free, and they'll activate it as soon as the envelope reaches their offices.

| Buy yourself a VPS and use Streisand.

| Move to Malaysia

| >>885898

This is the solution that I've come across when trying to help my friend in a much less serious scenario (was very limited to what he could do with on-campus wifi, blocked vpns, etc). Buying or renting a vps allows you to route (assumingly blocked) vpn traffic to get through the blockade if the worst should happen. Pretty hands on, but it's doable.

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1659421006

This thread is permanently archived