danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
EU joins open-source, decentralized social network Mastodon, sets up its own server

| The European Union has joined the social network Mastodon, which has seen a staggering 30,000 new users after Elon Musk's bid for Twitter was accepted.

This move represents the EU's goal of supporting private and open-source software capable of rivaling mainstream social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. On the same day, the European Commission also launched an account for PeerTube, another decentralized platform that revolves around video sharing.

| In concrete terms this means, for example, that EU Voice—the name of the Mastadon server—and EU Video do not rely on transfers of personal data to countries outside the European Union and the European Economic Area; there are no advertisements on the platforms; and there is no profiling of individuals that may use the platforms. These measures, amongst others, give individuals the choice on and control over how their personal data is used.

| It may be EU but i wonder what specific country pushed for this.

| >>856756
I don't think this is the kind of resolution that needs to be "pushed" trough by force... It was likely proposed by members of the Pirate Party or the greens tbh.

| That's kinda cool. But where's the source, OP?

| >>856800
source: i made it the fuck up

| >>856805
god, i hate this website

| >>856838 it is rather funni

| >>856800
https://edps.europa.eu/press-publications/press-news/press-releases/2022/edps-launches-pilot-phase-two-social-media_en

Here you go, g/u/rlfriend.

| >>856906

Thanks anon.

| This took long. Hopefully the EU manages not to ruin it. Wouldn't be the first time.

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1651437646

This thread is permanently archived