danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Do you think there's a market for freelance/small-time web developers?

| I'm graduating university soon (major unrelated to tech) and one of my few marketable skills is web development (mainly frontend).

There are plenty of job openings for that, but due to my chronic health problem I'm not sure I can be a good fit working for a company (unless they're fully remote maybe?).

So I'm wondering if there's a place in the market for freelancers/one-man business? Like, I can make custom websites and stuff.

| Try to get a secure job in a public/governmental institution. Free market is a bad place for people with chronic health issues. Freelancing/one-man business is a very bad idea. All responsibility will be loaded on your back but you'll have no securities. The only exception is if you manage to get hired directly by the big platform monopolies. Else you'll end up only moderating some pages on their platforms for bad-paying third parties.

| What a sad thing to work as a web dev. Say goodbye to your brain and sense of rationality, and enjoy JavaScript's incorrectness.

| >>816218
>Job in governmental institution
Ha! I had a part-time job there and it was not a good experience. Also the barrier of entry for full time job there is extraordinarily high, to the point it's many people's dream job. With how patchy my CV is, this is unlikely.

>>816225
Unfortunately I already lost my brain to JavaScript a long time ago. Might as well make a living out of it.

| >>816218
>All responsibilities will be loaded on your back but you'll have no securities.
Yeah, I'm aware of this. I'm lucky enough to have some savings and a supportive family to fall back on, though, so I can take the risk? Maybe?

And I'm not super crippled. Just that I have a chaotic schedule and difficulty working in an office-like environment.

| >>816230
>Ha! I had a part-time job there and it was not a good experience.
It's sad to see how the public sector in some countries discourages young people and how much they underestimate the importance information technology (except it's about surveillance or military)...
After quitting the military, I worked for civil public institutions, but the old farts there showed low interest in having modern IT. Now I ended up working for the police. Still better than free market :-P

| >>b41d40
Do you have an official degree of disability btw.? It can make things lot easier.

| >>816442
I don't... and I'm not even sure something like that exists here? People here have very low awareness for disability (and don't get me started on mental health) I doubt it will even do anything if it exist.

>>816441
I was actually working in the defense sector, but everything still felt so old-timey, it was like a time capsule.

Total number of posts: 8, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1640222601

This thread is permanently archived