danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Is tor banned?

| I was messing around with it, and I tried posting something and the site just went all BANNED on me. So... i thought it was curious.

| Tor is retarded anyway.

| shut the fuck up

| something something spam prevention..

| They even deleted my post for linking to onion service documentation. Fuck pref.

| tor is a honeypot anyways, why would you wanna use it

| >>757653 honeypot or not it still provides security from website hosts

| >>757653
proof.

| Are you kidding??? They made a whole documentary on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

| >>758037
This honestly made me laugh. Thank you!

| >>758037

10/10, would watch again. Should be required viewing for all dangero/u/s g/u/rls.

| >>758027
> government made private web browsing where it is really easy to commit crimes
> government made
need i say more

| >>757653 >>758037 so if I don't use TOR, what should I use then ?

| >>758548

Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

VPN's aren't going to protect you from a government most of the time and the illusion that they do is what makes VPN providers rich.

And if what you're doing *actually* requires hiding from the government (e.g, terrorism, mass murder, slavery, drugs) nothing short of using disposable and non traceable *everything* is going to be enough.

| They're okay for deterring script kiddies from finding out where you live, though. Key word being "deter."

| As an addendum, they're also good for bypassing government firewalls, assuming said government hasn't banned that particular VPN. We have a few chinese and also middle eastern users here who can only visit us via VPN.

| ...sigh.

And I suppose also watching restricted movies on Netflix and other streaming sites.

| And always remember! If it's free, then you are the product. Nord and similar VPNs just sell your data anyways. Try looking at VPNs like trust.zone. Ensure they don't sell or store user data.

| >>758791 This "if it's free you are the product" is one of the most retarded things people like to say and is pure bullshit.

| >>758811 its not wrong, just the people keep using it wrong. We, as humanity, are really good at bastardising simple concept and ideas,twisting them into something it's not

| >>758811
I wouldn't call it pure bullshit. There are several services that brands itself as free but earns money on your personal data. Like Google, Facebook etc etc.

The saying is true. It's just not a hard rule. OSS is free and it doesn't take anything from you and it doesn't treat you like a product, instead it asks you to contribute.

| >>758855 If a service is free, it's often true, and if the source of the free thing make money, too.
But the thing is what makes people trust less open source, many times non-tech people will prefer a paid software or service to a FOSS one because they feel like paid stuff is more trustworthy.
Instead of weird mottos, we should teach people to read ToS, it would be more useful.

| >>758859 obviously if it's FOSS then it's not part of the problem. If people had two brain cells they would understand that. I have never heard that phrase used as an excuse not to use a FOSS program. Literally never. As a general rule, if it's a service a corporation is making money off of, and they aren't selling it to you, then take a guess at where the money is coming from.

| Good luck on your mission to make people read the ToS though.

| so is tor banned or

| >>758958

Yes.

| >>758563 thanks. I'm not into that kind of illegal activities,I'm just a simple man wanting to become a pirate and enjoy the deeps of the torrent .

My country's hability to trace back to illegal torrent users is very limited if not inexistent, but I heard someone bad-intentionned people could do something by knowing your IP. Except a DDos attack, I don't see what and how so I'm wondering also about the said necessity of a VPN

| https://thehackernews.com/2021/05/over-25-of-tor-exit-relays-are-spying.html

archive.is version: https://archive.is/Cuck0

>>759142

Imo the IP is less important than determining your real world location using it, or at least getting an idea of the general area of where you live. Like most demographics information, one piece is not enough to necessarily hurt you, but accumulating it over time can be.

| >>759286
It even has the word "Cuck" on the URL lul.

| I use vpn services for piracy, otherwise the ISP starts sending me threatening letters and eventually disconnects your service.

Total number of posts: 30, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1621142876

This thread is permanently archived