danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
BSD vs Linux

| I what to dip my toes into something other than Windows and can't make up my mind.
Linux seems like a go-to alternative, but the way it's developed and maintaned seems... Bloated? Lots of distros shaking things up and adding their own unique herbs and spices, package managers, release types, etc. Seems unreliable and unnecessary.
Especially in comparison with Free/Net/OpenBSD, where we are talking about a fairly tight-knit community of crazy wizards.

| But that's a surface-level assessment from a Windows-junkie. Are there real advantages to running BSD's as a desctop/home server, or have I been brainwashed by some "techno-elitist propoganda"?

| For normal day-to-day use I would recommend going with a well supported linux distro like (L/K)Ubuntu(mate), Manjaro OpenSUSE etc. Pretty much all of the well known distros come with a modern linux kernel so you can be sure that it has all required drivers for your HW along with all necessary appli's for day-to-day use (Libreoffice, Firefox etc.)
BSD has it's main advantage in ZFS compatibility which makes it attractive for Servers. ZoL is preddy adequate though for simple servers.

| >>685687
i'm offended you omitted xubuntu :(
never tried bsd so opinion on that.

opensuse kde was my first linux distro, but i'm no big fan. between xubuntu anf manjaro xfce, i find that xubuntu comes with saner defaults and it's easier to "debloat" than manjaro. but the thing is that i have a ryzen laptop and it gives me issues with xubuntu's older kernel, so i have to stay with manjaro.

| >>685687
wtf my gurl! i read Zürcher Oberländer as wel!!!

| My opinion of bsd as someone who uses Linux is that it's very similar with a few really cool features and way less community support

>Seems unreliable and unnecessary.

You have to remember that many of the larger distros are run by companies for larger corporations, if they weren't reliable they wouldn't exist or would still be a smaller distro

| i bet most of the ppl praising their favorite distros rn have never done anything with bsd and neither have i but the way i see it OP since you seem to have the motivation go try out both and maybe keep us updated in future posts

| >>685721
Sorry for not noticing xubuntu-kouhai.

My only BSD experience comes from FreeNAS so not very in-depth.

As for bloat, Even Ubuntu-studio has less bloat than a fresh win10 install with all the ads and shite. So bloat isn't really a problem unless you are running a old intel atom tablet with 2G ram and 32G storage like I do. :þ

| As someone who works bsd on daily basis for a living, I wouldn't use it as a daily driver for desktop. You'll have better experience with popular Linux distro. As far as servers go, go bsd and go nuts

| I use multiple oses for different purposes, including BSD. BSDs are usually for research purposes, and here are the three main ones:
OpenBSD: Security Based (havent used it yet)
FreeBSD: Desktop Based (used to some extent, has more user friendliness than the others)
NetBSD: Primarily for research and ports (my main BSD os, though it might not be fit for newbs)

| In Linux, Ubuntu is the most easy distro for newbs, although there has been a lot of criticism on it recently. Debian is what U untu is based on, and is also ok. I used RedHat Linux in the past for certain reasons, although it might be more advanced, and Fedora is a free version of it. Slackware is a kind of classic linux distro, and at the end of the day, you could always make your own distro (See Linux from Scratch book for good info).

tldr: DOS has no bloat, it wins 10/10

| You can also rebuild the bsd and linux kernels and remove all unnecessary mods and edit the source code in order to remove bloat. That's usually what I do, although there is a way to optimize it for your computer specifically.

Total number of posts: 12, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1596743021

This thread is permanently archived