danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
This might be a bit (very) controversial, but...

| PHP actually doesn't seem all that bad. At least on a basic level, it does what needs to be done fairly easily, and with PHP7 the performance doesn't suck as bad as it did for PHP5. I kinda understand where the hate may come from, but it's kinda overblown. A lot.

| You wanna fite m8?

Seriously though, I do understand the hate and like for PHP. Some people are quite the elitist and chose to completely abandon PHP, and some thought it was inefficient.

But still, nothing beats it in terms of simplicity in my opinion. It's still a great thing to learn whenever people are starting their web dev career.

| >>66665
Yeah, exactly! Sure, it might not be the best (and let's be honest, it really isn't), but its simplicity really helps a lot and as a first stepping stone towards bigger and better things (and better code) it really ain't that bad.
I only now realize how clickbait-ish the title is. Sorry for that one.

| can you send me some resources on how to learn it plz? <3

| I think laravel has made PHP great again, shits easy to work with now.

| >>66947
I'm using this: https://www.w3schools.com/php/
Seems pretty grand for learning the basics.

| actually lolis are good

| I'm not a big fan of php, since im not a big fan of 'web development' in general.
The most important things about php are:
- you have to make considerations about performance, since the code runs on your server - which is good
- developers and users need server access if they want to see the code that's actual running - which is bad
This is a big difference to JavaScript, which is often seen as 'alternative' to php (which is wrong, because of this fundamental conceptual difference)

| >>67569
What do you mean by "not being a fan of 'web development' in general"? Is it just not your thing, or..?
Also, isn't JavaScript used for front-end, while PHP is for back-end?

| Due to the fact I'm not a big fan of so called 'web-development' in general I also don't like JavaScript. But because of its diffrent nature, there are other reasons to dislike it compared to php. Because this thread is about php and not about JS i'll make it short: because its run client sided and most of JS developers are incompetent or lazy douchebags, 90% of JS codebase is crap regarding performance and security.

| >>67575
I dont like webdevelopment because of its trend to platforming.

Regarding JS and php you're right in the sense of how it should be used. But that's not always the case.
There are webengines without JS, only php. Also it's possible to do a lot stuff with JS thats not meant to be frontend stuff.

| Back to the main topic:
As alternative to php you could look for python with libraries like django etc.

Total number of posts: 12, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1513338307

This thread is permanently archived