danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Should I get Usb C earphones?

| I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 and bought a Usb C adapter for my jack earphones, but the adapter gets hot in minutes and makes me feel uncomfy about harming my tablet Do anyone here knows if this happens too with Usb C earphones or if it is normal and safe to keep the adaptor?

| A simple adapter shouldn't get hot.
But don't change the earphones, change the phone, because usb-c is cancer.

| You should get a phone with a headphone jack, it's not new tech after all should be pretty cheap for manufactures to implement

| devices that require you to buy a separate attachment just to use headphones are garbage.

| There must be some sort of digital to analog conversion at some point, so the adapter might get hot because of that. Since it's not a jack output, your tablet is not converting by itself.
The adapter has to do it, thus drawing power, I guess...

I'd say it's normal that it gets hot to the touch, but if it gets that hot that you can't touch it, it's kinda weird.

I guess it's normal.
Not sure this can damage your tablet. Maybe.

| Yes, removing useful features from products is normal, sadly.

| >>664690 but they don't. They just require a different kind of headphone. Like how some computer's take both USB and AUX 3.5mm headsets, but this one just takes a USB Type-C headset. I've got a phone with a USB-C port, and I went into it scared because everyone kept soykaffing on it, but I haven't had any problems so far. I can charge and listen to music at the same time with wireless charging.

| I had nice earbuds, and I wanted to keep using them, so I picked up a $5 adapter and have been using it ever since. My phone habits are exactly the same. Nothing's changed. The only difference is I set my phone on the desk to charge it rather than fumbling with a cord, and instead of plugging in an AUX cord to listen to music, I plug in a USB Type-C cord.

| It sounds like a problem with your adapter OP. Try picking up another one. Mine doesn't stay completely cool, but it doesn't get like... Hot. If you think there's an issue, maybe return the last one and pick another one up online. Not sure whih one I'm using, but I got it at The Source if that helps. Good luck OP!

| I... excuse me there are usb earphones now???

| >>664787
-_-

| >>664787
USB audio devices have been common since forever, g/u/rl, where have you been?

| >>664632
Blame the manufacturers, not the port. Type-C is a great innovation because it unifies the whole mess that is the USB standard. It allows power delivery which kills proprietary laptop chargers, it's reversible, and best of all: it's in ONE shape and size.

If you want to regress to microUSB that's fine, I'll just enjoy my Type-C goodness while still having a 3.5mm port. Best of both worlds.

| >>664861
(wait there is no micro usb type C ?)

| >>664898 no?

| For phones it's mini USB for the two leveled one, micro for the slot and then USB c for the oval

| >>665007
shit we're making actual technological progress !!

| >>664859 "Unifying" is the problem here. What makes it nice with jack ports? If it fits, it works.
Would you be happy if your audio ports, usb ports, charger ports, to be usb-c? Either it breaks if you use the wrong one, either it require software "rewiring", which creates a lot of latency and bugs, for no gain.

Replacing usb by usb-c is meh (forcing people to change and buy everything again), but using them for everything is retarded.

| >>665211 it wouldn't "break if you use the wrong one" unless whoever implemented it was a moron, most software wouldn't need much if any change as the os deals with USB low level stuff and everything already supports usb including audio for years

If a wizard made every USB device in your house type c right now 99% would have no issues since USB standard is backwards compatible anyway

| This is the time to take a moment and think,
what good are products that ignore basic decency.

| >>665247 USB audio is crap and a big source of bugs, and don't get me started on drivers.
And I don't think that "being used as a charger" is in the usb standard.

But you're right, many things already work like that, and that's why there are so many bugs with external devices. Just like the web "works", but is done so crappily that it's just a hellish mess of crap and randomness.

| >>665292
>I don't think that "being used as a charger" is in the usb standard.

It is. Half the connections are for power only.

>USB audio is crap and a big source of bugs, and don't get me started on drivers.

Never had any problems on neither Windows nor Linux with multiple USB sound cards, gaming headsets, wireless headsets with support for dual sound devices etc.
But yeah, you need to research if they have Linux drivers before buying.

Audio quality isn't the best though.

| Wait, at what point do you consider audio to be crappy ?

| I'd expect a DAC and amplifier on a specifically designed adapter to outperform those that could be embedded in a phone or tablet...

With all that said, did OP get a fix to their problem ?

| >>665292 my DAC is USB and sounds better than any other mic I have, do tell me again how USB audio is crap

| >>665415
Well that's todo with the mics you have.

| The point is aux is an analog standard that does not change and in fact can not change in the sligtest between diffrent devices
its cheaper to construct, simpler to use
nothing you buy will ever be limited by aux
there are no required translation layers that devices require, no identification protocol
it's old, ainchent even.
and there are plenty of good reasons why its still around.

| and yes USB will do the job and it will do it well
but there is just so mutch that needlesly can go wrong.
don't get me wrong all those failiures bring loads of benefits to it aswell, you can squeeze a lot of diffrent data through it so for e.g. your headset could have haptic feedback. or head tilt tracking for accurate souround sound.

but no headsets actually do that making the use of USB pointless

| kindof reminds me when a friend of mine got a headset that used HDMI (think it was an asus one) and was so happy about the thickness of the cable, it supposedly being very robust. broke within a month and so did the replacment. ended up being an expecive piece of shit. but he sure was exited about using a more modern connector for those weeks.
while USB is magnitudes better then HDMI for a headset. it shares the same problem,
introduces points of failiure for no benefit.

| >>665832 "no translation layers" you need dac, with USB it's just in the headphones/standalone rather than using your PC's dac, USB audio is exactly the same as analogue after it's gone through a PC

A loopback
Convert analogue to digital > playback on PC > convert digital to analogue > send to headset

Since many Mobo have bad dac USB can often be better quality

Btw I won't buy a phone without 3.5mm but if we're taking PC, USB with a standalone dac is clearly the best option

| >>665835
i said "there are no required translation layers that devices require"
which is true a aux cable can be directly connected to a bare speaker and that's how it's done in most headphones
while USB will always have a micro controller to Identify the device, anounce its specifications & decode
possibly even require custom firmware if you make a bad purchase choice

but yes most mb have a horrificly bad dac, so you do have to be carefull about that

| >>665835
so why you would prefer an external USB dac over a good internal one or even pcie aux if you made a bad mb choice

| if you can just have 1 connector instead of 2, this saves pcb area, which is expensive. not having a DAC before the output too.
that alone is most likely enough to justify a standard with only one connector.

>>665842
laptop or other portable needs. also noise that's internal to your PC case in some cases (other components behave badly on EMC terms).

>>665836
simply because the conversion happens before the other end of the cable...

| ^ dac on Mobo is rarely ever isolated so you get noise, and sometimes they're put there as an obligation not as a feature, plus I haven't seen any Mobo that takes xlr so I need an external dac anyway

| >>665867
>pcb area, which is expensive
minuscule mobile devices have an aux port
>the conversion happens on the other end of the cable
It's a small diffrance yet an important one

i do find it wierd that you use xlr presumibly at home, if interfearance is that important to you why not spdif?

| >>665211
Please re-read what I wrote. I said 'unifying the USB standard'. I didn't say 'unify everything' (i.e, all the ports).

I can't disagree with having to buy everything again, but that's always the case with technological advancements.

Besides, there is no such thing as 'software rewiring'. At best you'll be writing an abstraction layer (which is already done since USB has been here since forever).

| >>666365
you're not comparing phones or tablets with "minuscule mobile devices" now, are you ?
also it's besides my point. it still costs something. when mass-producing, it does amount to a lot more.

| >It's a small difference yet an important one
not that small if you look at the costs. maybe you mean small in terms of size ? that also means 1 more connector to have in stock and route on PCB, 1 more reference of dual channel DAC to keep in stock and route, and a few mm² of silicon. times the number of devices you produce, if it allows you to fit 1 more PCB in a batch, it's a total win.

maybe even still worth it if you sell the adapter as an accessory, but I don't know that.

| buying a separate adapter may be a pain, but in that case it might not be that inconsiderable, or might even be reasonable if you consider the cost of an adapter compared to a device worth (multiple times) 100 (let's say USD) or more on the market.
not saying there are no drawbacks, just that if USB C can handle that, let it do it.

| >>666697
All of this wouldn't be an issue if a phone could last through a day of active use. The issue is not that people need one more hole in a phone. You can't charge and use headphones simultaneously. Unless you have a wireless power bank, which isn't convenient, or wireless headphones, which suck.

| >>665314 OP here, right now I still didn't made a decision, the adaptor gets hot but for hours it doesn't get any hot or cooler. I'm holding because I'm not sure about keep using the adaptor or getting some USB earphones (analog sound isn't a problem for me as I tried both and I don't notice a difference, maybe digital sound has less static sound on calls?) or dual adaptor?

| My take on universal USB-C, as long as they don't remove features from the device it should be fine, removing the aux shouldn't be a problem if you are adding an aditional USB-C port, I can't be the only person in the world who likes to listen to music while the phone is charging right?

| I bought my tablet without knowing it only had a USB-C port because I wanted it for educational purposes, but now I'm using it to play or calls on Discord and it's a shame I can't charge while at it (No earphones means no privacy towards my house), people wouldn't complain as much if they added two ports instead of just 1, at least that's what I think.

| Oh yea, I do get that.
USB-C should absolutely be able to power your phone or tablet (or even output video for nintendo switch on a dock) AND get audio through.
I'm positive it is the case, and so there must exist adapters that split into 3.5 jack and another usb port.
Kinda sucks you need an adapter just for that, tho, ngl

| >>666697
A headphone jack is piss cheap to implement, there is no pro consumer reason to exclude it
only reason you would was if you ware making an ultra thin device _without_ ports
(this being unpresedented)

or you wanted to make more money selling
a-expencive wireless peripherals
b-force device manufacturers to pay a pricy licance in order to sell their product, the cost of which you pay in the end

both of these apple has done
and without a doubt others would like to aswell

| OP just to be back on topic for a sec

an easy solution for your problem is a ~4$ Bluetooth receiver that comes with a rechargable battery, their easy to use and very portable.

| >>666904
If you want audio quality, you'd really have to invest in more. The cheap receivers tend to come with rubbish audio output and less than impressive battery life.

| >>666902
i just gave you reasons why it isn't THAT piss cheap, come on.

having only 1 single reference compatible with every USB-C device implementing standardized audio (in our case the adapter, than can also be designed to deliver power AND 3.5mm jack), instead of having to fit more in various devices (phones, tablets, portable music players, laptops, consoles).

that's like factorization in maths.

at worst, "slightly impractical".
it shouldn't impact the consumer that much.

| I guess we should make a thread about that.

| >>667076
well not only does it affect the consumer in several ways mostly all of them mensioned through this entire thread, in fact this thread was started due to a problem caused by it

it also contrary to your amazing maths comparison is leagues cheaper then USB-C due to that perticular usb standard being waay to overcomplicaded to account for all the functionality it tries to pull off

| Cheap phone grade 3.5mm and dac should maybe $0.50 each to a manufacture at most, they're produced in such great numbers and for so many years since everything good has one

| For example I can buy a MCP4901-E/SN for 0.96 or if I were to buy 1000 0.70 phone manufactures need way more than that and have a lot of weight to throw around

| >>666904 it doesn't sound like a bad idea, but would it be able to still record from the implemented mic? Or tell the tablet there is no mic so it records from the tablet instead?

| >>667590
if the reciever is done rigth it should transmit the mic, if it's not it still should use the internal one

on the astranomical chance both of those don't happen you can just change the mic settings

Total number of posts: 54, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1591589795

This thread is permanently archived