danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
How hard is it to program a nice-looking GUI?

| I mostly do frontend web development but now I'm thinking of creating desktop apps. How hard would that be? Where do I even begin?

I would prefer it I can just use HTML/CSS to build desktop UIs, but I refuse to use Electron, that shit will grind my potato PC to a halt.

| easy to lern options as far as i know are eather java or c#
(neither of which have i used for a few years)

| Windows forms in c# is pretty easy

| C# is super easy to learn

| I world recommend opting for WPF instead of winforms if you are going that route.

| >>114294
WPF does look more interesting than Windows Forms simply because it's open source and uses DirectX.

Windows forms is inheritly ugly imo but it's so easy to learn even a chimpanzee with ADHD can use it. Speaking from experience by the way.

| Surprised Qt wasnt mentioned. Can write js right into Qt's markup language (qml). If you dont wanna bother with c++, pyqt is fairly good aswell.
Zetcode has some straight forward tutorials for a couple of gui libs.
Also WPF and winforms are terribjle suggestions. Cross platform gtfo

| Ey, op here. I genuinely have no idea about any of these, so thanks for all the suggestions. Esp >>648324 for pointing me to Zetcode.

I do want to make the GUI *looks good*, a skill which I've gotten pretty dang good at with HTML/CSS, but even that took, like, years of practice. So I'm worried how hard it'll be with other languages.

I have Windows, but yeah, cross-platform would be better.

| I'd recommend Qt for sure, the entire environment can get pretty large though so plan to have like 4-8GB of space for it. The full kit includes it's own IDE, compiler, GUI designer, and some ohter goodies.
Here is an example (bit dated now) of Eve Online's launcher, built with Qt. https://i.imgur.com/7ck1opt.png

| >>648761
tfw my qt env is over 50GB...

Is a web interface out of question ?

| Qt seems good. Still messing around with it.

>>648763
Mmmm I just don't want to be tied down to needing browsers or having to spin up a server. Something like Electron would have been ok if it doesn't hog so much ram I feel my own life force ebbing away.

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1588057595

This thread is permanently archived