danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Unshitting Discord

| Discord's new update is a mess, so we're undoing it while making it less of a botnet.

Disclaimer: There's a small chance that discord will disable your account or you having your token stolen if you download sketchy random plugins.

1- Install BetterDiscord
https://github.com/rauenzi/BetterDiscordApp/releases
There are also another versions of BetterDiscord but this is the most popular

2- Set this as your Custom CSS. It will get rid of the GIF, Nitro Gift Button and..

| all the mess they did in the lastest update.

https://pastebin.com/raw/dq2WT2Vw
Simply copy and paste the entire code and go into User Settings>Custom CSS (might be at the bottom of settings) then Update and Save.

The code was taken from BetterDiscord's discord and mashed all together
Remember that discord might revert this update and mess up the entire UI, don't forget to revert the entire code (except line 2 to 8 if you hate the crappy bloat buttons).
And well, there you go.

| 3- (Optional) Download whatever you want
the safest server for that would be BetterDiscord's Server
https://discord.gg/2HScm8j

Because screw using the same bland theme for years.

And that's it, for browser users you might want to give Stylus a try, not sure if the CSS i posted above will work with it though.

>inb4 imagine using discord
a lot of the users in here are discord users, so why not?

| oh and for debotnetting install this plugin and install it into betterdiscord by going to %appdata%/betterdiscord/plugins

https://github.com/rauenzi/BetterDiscordAddons/tree/master/Plugins/DoNotTrack

| When will custom themes be added? Like custom backgrounds without downloading outdated plugins?

| >>623723
>a lot of the users in here are discord users, so why not?
Because no amount of hacks will fix it's underlying problems, so you migth as well try to gradually find / move to anything better instead of pretending you can fix it.

| Imagine actually being so afraid of discord that you think it's a botnet.

| thank you very much the update is ass

| I have all the telemetry data and shit like that turned off in the settings you should all check that, if when your discord opens to the "home" page with a bunch of shit you missed something

| >>624334 not saying don't do above but to also do this

|

| I mistapped >>624348

but yeah, also do what >>624334 said

| This happens if you use centalized services that are tied to exlusive proprietary software.
Why not use mumble instead? It's decentral and free (as in freedom).

| >>624364 because they're not comparable

| Mumble is VoIP software, discord is a chat platform with VoIP and a huge userbase that can run from a browser

| I believe tox might be the closest thing but I don't know anyone who uses it and couldn't get it setup when I gave it a half heartened attempt

| >>624377
I use tox n ik ppl tht use it.
Thing about it is most of the clients are eather half done or have some retarded bug.
The protocol is also yet to support same account over multiple devices so tht's an inconvieniance.

| >>624364 >>624375 what about riot.im?

| Ye mumble is not an option for this purpose and never will be.
>>624376
userbase is irrelevant in the topic of good software.
It sure does run from a browser but it's severely limited when done so.
(+performance and security implications)

If you have a better platform people will move it.

There just aren't any outstanding options for now

| >>624406
Well taking a quick glance at the front page.
Migth be ok but it's still server based and has a browser,
so i'll stick to the buggy tox clients for now
i use one for group voice
other one for normal use
just bc tox clients are in sutch a fucked state ATM
(protocol itself is usable tho)

| >>624376
Mumble also has a chat function and running from a browser doesn't really count as an advantage. Native written software is much more efficient. There's also an android client for mumble, called "plumble". And guess what? It's free (like in freedom)!
And the userbase? Well, it's not really a question of quanitity but rather of quality to me. I see no use in this whole "social-media" platforms with their "influencers" and propaganda bubbles, except wasting time and brain.

| >>623719 stop shilling.

| Like honestly if anyone truely has a reason to track u. Then ur pobs crimminal and then its a matter of time cuz theres not really anything the fbi cant get access to or dig up granted the funds ofcourse

| >>624521
Does mumble have a friends list you can check prior connecting to a server, if so has does it work?

| >>624748
I can't be bother rn just look up some common sense if you have none or idk maybe kys?

| >>624748
The NSA tracks everything, and every information is important - not only for chasing criminals. It's just a question of time and technology until all data will be monetarized. Insurances, Banks, Marketing and your employer have big interests in your personel information. They will create social scorings from it, to calculate your value and compare it with others.

| >>624748
The NSA tracks everything, and every information is important - not only for chasing criminals. It's just a question of time and technology until all data will be monetarized. Insurances, Banks, Marketing and your employer have big interests in your personel information. They will create social scorings from it, to calculate your value and compare it with others.

| >>624521 Mumble *has* chat it's not a chat platform, it competes with TeamSpeak not discord

"Native software is much more efficient" sure but that doesn't seem to be very important to most people right now, even steam library is built on web tech now

The advantage is not having to install has a much lower barrier to entry, think of RuneScape how many people played that just because their friends were and it was online, just sign up and play no install required

| >>624406 thank you I forget about that, for the most part I think it's eating irc & slack though isn't it?

Matrix is something I'd like to try and run though it seems like a really cool chat platform, does a matrix to discord bridge exist

| >>624853 you mean people who are smart *at computers*. I have a few professors - smartest people I know. But they can barely work a computer. Whenever I see "ah, this will stop the idiots" argument made, I sigh, because it stops literally everyone who isn't good at computers, including the geniuses. Just because you're good at one thing, doesn't mean you should expect everyone else above a certain IQ to also be good at it.

| >>624927
Well, I agree with you that there are smart people who don't know how to computer. I too know lots of cases personally. But there's a big difference between them and not so smart people that don't know how to use computers: They have much more self awareness about their incompetence. They know and understand the issues of easy-to-use and "free" (as in free beer) products.

| >>624927
Finally: Just because some geniuses aren't good at one thing, it doesn't mean that a majority of people that aren't good at this one thing are geniuses.

| >>624939 I understand that and I wasn't trying to make that point. I thought that was fairly obvious, but I guess not. I'm just saying you're excluding some of the smartest people out there with your "idiot barrier".

| >>624983
I know that. I just think in the current state of things it's more probable and expectable that those small group of smart people learn how to break this "idiot barrier" than that common stupidity suddenly disappears. I once had hope the internet would somehow make more and more people automatically smarter, but thanks to this restrictive, centralized easy-access entertainment and propaganda platforms in most cases it became a consumerist idiocy amplifier instead.

| Telegram has encrypted info and is a good choice too

| >>625000
I'm sure it is still making ppl smarter.
Just does't look like it bc it also shows you the long standing truth:
Lots of bubble communities of absolute retards

I genuenly think the internet has only improved the avrage inteligance, we just could not comprehend how low it actually was.

| >>625124
I wish I had your optimism.

Total number of posts: 37, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1581288797

This thread is permanently archived